This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

1. Sweetgreen for the struggling student

I love Sweetgreen—there is one literally two blocks from my dorm, and their Hummus Tahina salad is to die for (this is coming from somebody who would rather replace all her meals with a latte and a pastry). However, Sweetgreen, and a lot of other healthy-but-also-appetizing eateries are hella expensive. In recent weeks, I’ve found myself wanting to treat my body as the temple I’m always told it is (whether it is or not is highly dubious), but I have not wanted to shell out $12.95 plus tax plus tip for some lettuce and a few falafel chunks, delicious as they may be. So when my LA-born-and-bred heart craves some kale and tahini, I now make this—basically the same as Sweetgreen’s Hummus Tahina, but without the two block walk or the blow to the wallet.

Ingredients:

• 1 bag chopped kale (I like Trader Joe’s Organic because I’m lazy and hate washing produce)
  • 1 bag chopped romaine
  • Garnishes of your choosing, such as tomato, avocado, red onion, olives, or cucumber
  • 1 container hummus (whatever kind you want, I usually use plain)
  • Lemon juice (fresh is best, but get the bottle if that’s what your heart is saying)
  • Falafel (I like the frozen premade ones from Trader Joe’s)

To make the dressing, mix hummus and lemon juice until you achieve a thick but pourable texture. Fill your bowl with equal parts kale and romaine. Toss with the dressing. Heat the falafel (a microwave does the job perfectly here), chop the garnishes, and add both to the top. Finish it off with another scoop of hummus to accompany the falafel.

2. (Actually delicious) Trail mix

One of my greatest challenges since coming to college (actually, that’s a blatant lie because college is hella hard) has been getting hungry in the library but not having the wherewithal to walk to a dining hall (and I can’t go to the cafe because I used all my points already, damn). Trail mix is a perfect study snack because it has carbs, fats, and protein, so it is a “complete snack,” blah blah blah. The point is, trail mix is boring. However, when you make your own using only ingredients you like, it becomes less so. There is no set ingredient list, but as a general rule, if you include some sort of nut, something sweet, something salty, and include a variety of ingredients to ensure some ~textural interest~, you’re golden.

One of my go-to’s includes salted almonds, mini peanut butter cups from Trader Joe’s, coconut chips, and pretzels. If you’re feeling more traditional, why not peanuts, cashews, M&M’s, and raisins? Dried fruit options are limitless: pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, mango, and countless others, and the variety of pretzels and chips (kale! plantain! vegetable! potato!) speak for themselves. Oh my god, and you can also add cereal. Fucking cereal. Wow. Feel free to spice it up any way you want, just follow this one rule of thumb: don’t include the things you don’t fucking like. If you avoid gross things, you can enjoy your trail mix without the dreaded picking-out of certain ingredients. That’s a lot of work—and that’s the last thing you need when you’re already in the library (aka in a bad mood).

3. Instant ramen, upgraded

This next recipe is so legit, my mother, a culinary school graduate, makes it for dinner at least once a month. As a college freshman with a gigantic meal plan and comparatively delicious dining halls, I haven’t found myself needing to eat instant ramen, but I have craved this version enough to make it anyway. The only tools it requires are a pot and a bowl, so with the following ingredients you’ll be well on your way.

Ingredients:

• Instant ramen, any kind (I like the chicken broth, salt broth, or soy sauce!)
  • Bok choy or spinach
  • Fresh ginger bulb (this is GOOD to have on hand, always)
  • Head of garlic

Chop the garlic and ginger as finely as possible. Make the ramen as directed, adding the chopped garlic and ginger to the water as it starts to boil. When the ramen is done and the heat turned off, add the bok choy or spinach and stir until it is wilted, then add the seasoning packet (I usually add half a packet). Pour into a bowl and enjoy!

Ava Ferry

Columbia Barnard '22

A Los Angeles transplant living in New York City, Ava is a freshman at Barnard College of Columbia University (the best college in the world), and she has no idea what she's studying. In her free time, you can find her watching Netflix, wandering around the city with her headphones in, reading Vogue, scream-laughing, and offending old conservatives with her uncouth language.