Wellness > Health

Trudy’s Clothing Policy: Raising Eyebrows and Lowering Sleeves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

The sudden enforcement of a stricter dress policy at Trudy Fitness Center amidst the spike in COVID-19 cases on campus has certainly turned some heads. Prior to the enforcement of the policy, which details that guests must wear clothing that “covers the back, arm pits, shoulders, and abdominal area,” myself and others could be seen running on the treadmill in sports bras and lifting in muscle tanks, of course, sporting a face mask as well. In light of the surge in cases which has heightened fears and the masking mandate all around campus, some are upset by the enforcement of these rules at Trudy. Several students are confused about the association between the spread of the virus and wearing clothing which covers parts of the body that aren’t directly responsible for transmission. Under “Usage Rules and Regulations for Colgate Fitness and Recreational Facilities” on Colgate’s website, the policy states that the clothing regulations are for “sanitary reasons,” which is understandable in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. By limiting dripping sweat onto the machines by covering more of the body, it seems that the facility would be more clean, as well as make gym visitors feel more comfortable with using the equipment on site. With many guests coming in and out of the gym, some of whom forget to clean machines and weights after use, a more strict dress code could prompt people to become more mindful about cleaning up after themselves following their workout. 

While the policy doesn’t make any gender distinctions for specific dress regulations, some female students have voiced concern with the policy’s implications. Since females more regularly sport tank tops and clothing which generally shows the back and arm pits, it can be argued that the newly enforced policy affects them more which has made some upset. However, considering the intention behind the stricter enforcement of this clothing policy, females were not targeted specifically by the detail regarding covering the back and armpits in the enhanced code of conduct. In the name of slowing the transmission rate of COVID-19 and maintaining a more sanitary exercise environment, sometimes compromise is necessary to keep the community as a whole more comfortable and tolerable of the space.

So, the next time that you’re thinking about hitting the gym, make sure that you bring your ‘Gate Card, proper shoes, and attire which aligns with the set of regulations which are being enforced. Break a sweat, but clean it up after!

First-Year student at Colgate University. Passionate about sustainability, creative writing, and playing lacrosse!