Wellness

National Domestic Violence Awareness Month at Colgate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Domestic Violence Awareness Month raises awareness of the prevalence of domestic violence at all ages and allows those who have been afflicted to connect with other individuals and create a community. Haven, Colgate’s Sexual Violence Resource Center, has planned a month’s worth of engaging events to empower those on our campus who have experienced any form of domestic violence and educate students about the support available to them. Although the month is halfway over, there are still plenty of opportunities to be involved!

October 16, 2023 @ 4:30pm: Healthy Relationship Bingo

Women’s Studies Center

Join the Haven Ambassadors in an invigorating game of Bingo! Learn all about what constitutes a healthy relationship and spend time with Haven staff and other peers.

October 17, 2023 @ 12:15pm: Let’s Talk: Healthy Relationships

OUS House

Show out to the Healthy Relationships talk at the OUS House! Prepare to be involved in discussions about healthy relationships with your peers and Haven staff. Learn about how to create and maintain healthy platonic and romantic relationships. Food will be provided!

October 17, 2023 @ 7:00pm: Survivor Speakout

Chapel House

Co-sponsored with The Network, this event will provide survivors of domestic violence a closed and safe space to heal and connect with other students. Options for support will be provided.

October 18th, 2023: Domestic Violence Awareness 3K

Whitnall Field

Join The Network in fundraising for Oneida’s own Domestic Violence Resource Center: Help Restore Hope Center!. Their goal is to “lend support and offer free and confidential services to put you and your loved ones on the road to a safer, happier and more independent life” (Help Restore Hope). This event will include prizes and more!

October 24, 2023 @ 11:30am: Dating Violence at Colgate and Beyond WMST Brown Bag

Women’s Studies Center Lounge

Join us in learning about dating violence on our own campus through this event!

October 24, 2023 @ 7:30pm: heART Event

Chapel House 

Channel your emotions through art in this event sponsored by Haven! This event allows students to paint and reflect in a safe and welcoming environment. 

As always, support is always available for anyone on our campus and in our community. There are walk-in hours, at the Conant House, Monday-Friday between 9:00am-12:pm and 1:30pm-4:30pm, or you are more than welcome to call or email and make an appointment (315-228-7385, counselingcenter@colgate.edu).

You can also visit Haven’s Website for more information. https://www.colgate.edu/student-life/health-and-wellness/haven-sexual-violence-survivor-support

Anna Martin

Colgate '25

Anna Martin is a junior at Colgate University studying Biology and Philosophy. She loves coffee, a good movie, and rainy weather.