Life > Academics

How to Stay Organized When You Feel Overwhelmed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

The abrupt jump back into ‘normal’ life post-pandemic is undoubtedly overwhelming. There are a few ways that I have found to work best in order to seamlessly dive into my week, and seem like I have some of my life together. 

A Planner

Obviously! Planning is essential for gauging when to do work, and when to schedule meetings. I have found that regurgitating syllabi and important events for the entire semester is a great place to start, then of course adding new assignments and information as you go along. 

schedule

The night before, I like to write out a schedule with times to plan out my day. This way, I avoid laziness and procrastination as I want to ensure I get my assignments done, eat healthy meals, prepare for meetings, work out, and most importantly make time for friends and fun. I keep a cute notepad on my desk that I write out my schedule before I go to bed. This way I feel like I have my life together, and when I wake up the next morning I can stay on top of everything. 

journal

Life gets overwhelming. It’s easier said than done to maintain everything that professors throw at you, the demand of clubs and sports, and social life. My favorite way to get everything out is to unapologetically write down how I feel. Nobody is going to see or hear it! It’s your space to get out your stress and frustration rather than letting it build and maybe lead to burnout. 

find spaces to work, rest, and play

With last year’s quarantine, I have learned that I am the least efficient at getting things done when I combine the spaces where I rest and need to do work. Find spaces on campus dedicated to certain types of work; busy work, studying, writing papers. 

give yourself a break

You don’t need to always finish an assignment. It’s not the end of the world. Although it’s important that it isn’t a consistent habit, it’s okay to give yourself a break when you feel like you need it. 

Shira Kim

Colgate '24

Colgate University Class of 2024 studying Biology and Economics. From CT and Hong Kong. Passionate about fighting against modern day slavery and for women.