Life > Academics

How to Push Through to the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Congratulations! You’ve made it over the hump and are more than halfway through the semester, but these next few weeks are packed before a well deserved Thanksgiving break. As professors push the class to learn the remainder of the course material and final exams creep closer, you may be feeling a lack of stamina and motivation. I’ve compiled a list of tips to help you get through the end of the semester as focused and calm as possible:

1. Switch up your study spot

We all have our favorite places to study and do work, but I always find it helpful to study somewhere different when I need a boost of focus. Having a new environment makes me less likely to get comfortable and distract myself with my phone. I’ve tried different floors of Case, the Coop computer lab, and even Frank. Ask your friends what their favorite study spots are!

1. Skip a night out

We all know that college isn’t JUST for work, but going out multiple times a week can leave you tired and drained for days after. It may be hard to get past the FOMO (fear of missing out), but having a spa or movie night and getting a full night of sleep can be extremely beneficial to your health and productivity.

1. Exercise!!

As the weather is getting colder, it’s becoming harder to go on a simple walk or want to go outside, but getting into an exercise routine can be really beneficial. It’ll help get your steps in and your body moving after studying for days on end. Even walking on the treadmill or up and down my dorm’s stairs a few times seems to help me feel my best!

1. Make plans for your break

It always feels good to have something to look forward to when you’re in the midst of studying and lots of work. I like to make plans to hang out with friends and family for when I go on break so I know there’s a light at the end of the stress tunnel. Bonus points if you plan a trip or getaway!

1. Drink lots of water

You can’t perform at your best if you don’t feel your best! Dry weather means your body needs to stay hydrated to be healthy. I like filling up my water bottle with ice and cool water from Frank so it’s refreshing and appealing. Hydration tablets such as the ones from Nuun make drinking water more fun, and I always find I drink more water when it tastes good! 

The end of the semester is nearing, so it’s important to finish strong. You got this!!

Felicia is a second year student and the Vice President of Her Campus at Colgate University. She is majoring in psychology and minoring in economics. In her free time, Felicia loves to sing, workout and do her campus radio show.