This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

As it’s starting to get colder and the sun is starting to set earlier, you may be finding yourself feeling a little less motivated and happy. Whether or not you have been diagnosed with a form of seasonal depression, the shift in weather can be a hard thing to adjust to, especially if you’re someone who prefers warm weather. Here are a few tips that have helped me get through even the coldest and darkest of months.

Move!

Even if you’re not an athlete, getting exercise is super important for your mental and physical health! I find that even walking on the treadmill clears my head and breaks the cycle of just doing sedentary things inside. If you can’t get to the gym, try walking up and down the stairs of your dorm a few times to get up and get your blood flowing. 

Develop a routine

Having a plan for each day helps keep you on task and prevent negative thoughts from causing procrastination or a lack of motivation. I like writing a to-do list so I can get the satisfaction and feelings of accomplishment when I check each item off!

Find warm clothes you love

Something that brings me a little bit of joy each day is getting to put together an outfit! I feel really inspired and excited about doing this when I have cute sweaters and pants to mix and match from. The confidence I feel when I like what I’m wearing gives a much needed boost of positivity.

Make a winter playlist

Listening to music that has a winter feel/vibe to it always helps me embrace and make the most of the chilly weather! A winter playlist will be different for everyone, but a few of my favorite songs last year were “Dark Red” by Steve Lacy, “the lakes” by Taylor Swift and “Annabelle’s Homework” by Alec Benjamin.

Plan out your summer

I find that the winter tends to go by faster when I have an exciting, planned out summer to look forward to. Whether it’s summer camp or a family vacation, knowing that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel is super important for getting through the toughest of days. You got this!

Felicia is a second year student and the Vice President of Her Campus at Colgate University. She is majoring in psychology and minoring in economics. In her free time, Felicia loves to sing, workout and do her campus radio show.