Wellness > Mental Health

A Guide to Accessing Mental Health & Wellness Resources at Colgate University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

“For severe or potential life-threatening mental health or medical issues, contact 911 or Campus Safety at 315-228-7911. Students may also call the National Text/Hotline for after-hours support. Text START to 741-741 or call 1-800-273-TALK (8253) for a confidential conversation anytime.”

The Colgate University website

On college campuses across the nation, students are facing many mental health challenges and illnesses at an increasing rate. Colgate continues to successfully address this growing need for easily accessible and free mental health resources and services through the Counseling Center and Shaw Wellness Institute. If you are struggling with your mental health, it is important that you know that you are not alone and that it is okay to ask for and receive help.

Counseling & Psychological Services

In addition to easily-accessible Counseling & Psychological Services, other helpful and important resources regarding alcohol/drugs, campus safety, hazing support, sexual violence survivor support and general student health can be accessed through the Health, Wellness & Safety page on the Colgate website. Services available at the Counseling Center include group therapy, individual therapy, psychiatric services, outreach opportunities, and crisis services. 

Contact Information:
Location: Conant House
Phone #: 315-228-7385
Email: counselingcenter@colgate.edu

Scheduling an Appointment at the Counseling Center:

Students can schedule an appointment by going to walk-in hours at the counseling center, which occur Monday through Friday at 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:30pm-4:30pm. In addition to offering these walk-in hours, the counseling center has made scheduling appointments even more accessible by enabling students to reach out by phone and by providing an appointment request form, which can be found on the web page linked above. 

Haven: Sexual Violence Survivor Support

Through Haven, Colgate’s Sexual Violence Resource Center, students can access individual counseling, group therapy, crisis intervention, educational programming, and more. These resources and services are available in connection with the Counseling Center. Haven is located on the garden level of Curtis Hall and its hours are Monday-Friday 8:30am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:30pm. 

After-Hours On-Call Counselor: call the counseling center at 315-228-7385 and dial #2

Shaw Wellness Institute

As stated on its webpage, the Shaw Wellness Institute is a “centralized location for health and wellness resources on Colgate’s campus.” In order to “connect the mind, body and spirit”, the Shaw Wellness Institute has partnered with several groups and departments on campus, including Student Health Services, Counseling, Haven, Outdoor Education, and Trudy Fitness Center. Through the Shaw Wellness Institute, students can access bystander workshops, eating management resources, registered dietician services, alcohol & drug services, an ambassador program, and more. 

Contact Information:
Location: 113 Broad Street
Phone #: 315-228-6403
Email: wellness@colgate.edu

Alcohol & Drug Services: Free and confidential counseling in individual, group, and educational program formats can be scheduled through this webpage or via phone call. More information for off-campus resources approved by the university, including Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and Rethinking Drinking, can be found towards the bottom of the Alcohol and Drugs page of the Colgate website.

Registered Dietician: To schedule a nutrition consultation, current students, athletes and employees can select “Schedule Nutrition Appointment” on their webpage. Individuals seeking advice or help with an eating disorder/disordered eating, vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, digestive issues, intuitive eating, nutrition for athletic performance, and more can benefit from these services.

Peer Coaching: To schedule a one-on-one 45-minute session with a Peer Coach for guidance and support regarding a wide-range of topics including stress management, sleep, loneliness, time management and more, select a date and time through the Events Calendar on the Peer Coach webpage.

Student Life & Community Engagement

In addition to receiving mental health care through the various resources and services on campus, community involvement is also important and beneficial to one’s mental health and wellness. Many of the clubs and organizations that students are able to participate in on campus involve mental health-related topics and wellness benefits. For more information about clubs and organizations on campus, students can login to their Colgate accounts on the Get Involved page and sign up.

Wellness & Mental Health Events: Mental health and wellness-related activities are also frequently hosted by various departments and programs. Opportunities can range from Sound Bowl Sessions and Morning Meditation to unique outdoor experiences, like snowshoe hiking and cross-country skiing. To learn more about and sign up for these experiences, you can log in to your Colgate account through the main website and scroll through the options on the Events Calendar. To filter the options on this page, you can select “Wellness and Health Events” at the drop-down menu. Additionally, students can participate in virtual and in-person fitness classes, which include, yoga, pilates, boxing, meditation, and more. To sign-up for and learn more about the available classes and experiences, students can refer to the ‘Gate Fitness page.

Junior at Colgate University pursuing a major in Biology and a minor in Sociology. Passionate about science, mental health advocacy, fashion, and food, and more!