Wellness

7 Tips & Tricks to Prevent and Cure Hangovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

No one likes waking up on a Sunday morning with a pounding headache, a churning stomach, and a pile of work to do #scaries. Here are some amazing tips and tricks to prevent and cure hangovers so you don’t wake up looking like Lindsey Lohan after she shaved her head. 

1. Avoid drinks with congeners!

Congeners are toxic chemical by-products that are formed during the fermentation process, with different alcoholic beverages containing different amounts. Studies have shown that limiting your intake of alcoholic beverages with congeners can lessen the intensity and longevity of hangover symptoms. A good rule-of-thumb is that the darker the liquor, the more congeners it contains. If you’re looking to avoid a bad hangover, steer clear of bourbon whiskey, cognac, and tequila, and opt for vodka, gin, or rum instead.

2. Try to match your alcoholic beverage intake with equal amounts of water!

This will tremendously help hangover symptoms the next day. You may be running to the bathroom a lot more frequently while you’re out because of your increased fluid intake, but it’s a significantly better problem to have than being stuck in the bathroom feeling sick the following morning.

3. Eat a substantial breakfast the morning after.

This will help to re-regulate your blood-sugar levels, which can alleviate hangover symptoms like dizziness, nausea, and fatigue.

4. Get a decent amount of sleep.

Aim for at least 7 hours, if you can. A bad night’s slumber won’t cause a hangover, but can make your symptoms significantly worse.

5. Don’t doubt the power of salt water.

Drinking a glass of water with a teaspoon of salt isn’t just for sore throats! It can help to prevent hangover symptoms as well. After going out, but before going to bed, drink a glass a water with added salt, and you’ll notice a difference the next morning. Because alcohol is a diuretic, it will make you urinate significantly more, depleting the salt levels in your body. Instead of relying on that bacon-egg-and-cheese the following morning to add some salt back into your body, drinking a little salt water can do the trick, without making your blood pressure go through the roof.

6. Avoid sugary drinks!

As good as they may taste, it’s true that the more sugar you intake with your alcohol, the longer it takes for your body to metabolize the ethanol, making your hangover worse. Try swapping out your standard rum and coke or pina colada for a vodka soda, or even a Corona.

7. Remember that some of the best nights can result in some pretty brutal hangovers.

Use them as an excuse to go out to brunch with your friends and laugh about your night! And definitely order a mimosa (or two).

Meg Armstrong

Colgate '21

Colgate
My name is Meghan and I am very excited to be Colgate's Campus Correspondent! I am a junior at Colgate and a Sociology major. My hometown is Manhattan Beach, California, and Colgate is such an amazing and special place to me (despite getting used to the brutal winters)! I love social media, writing, and photography, and can't wait to share all of the events, trending topics, and news happening at Colgate this coming semester!