5 New Year’s Resolutions We Have Already Given Up On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

We’re a month into the new year—how have your resolutions been holding up? 

Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Here are the 5 resolutions we’re pretty certain you’ve ditched right about now.

1.  Eating healthy

Now that the holidays are over we all say how the beginning of the year will mark the beginning of “healthy eating”—namely cutting down on the sugar and carbs. But once school starts with all the added stress, everyone needs a treat yo self day. Plus, Superbowl Sunday is known for endless pizza, chips and wings—you have to have superpowers to resist that kind of temptation.  

2. Going to the gym

At the beginning of the semester trying to get a treadmill at Trudy Fitness Center around 4pm is like participating in the cornucopia in the Hunger Games. Everyone wants to work on their spring break bod and what a better time to start. However after about 2 weeks into school—numbers at the gym have definitely dwindled and there definitely seems to be a lot of open machines.

3. Not going to Slices

Along the lines with eating healthy—a lot of people promise themselves to curb their late night appetite and resist the temptation of a cheesy slice with parmesan and a side of ranch dressing. But then it’s 3am, you know they take gate card, the smell of pizza wafts through your nose and all of the sudden you find yourself ordering two because just one is never enough.

4. Going to bed early

Oh the golden eight hours of sleep we promise ourselves at the beginning of the year—which never seems to happen. If only we had just started that essay a couple of days in advance or not waited till the last minute to catch up on a ton of reading.

5. Spend less time on social media

A lot of people promise themselves to get out of the routine of checking social media every waking moment of their day—it can cause a lack of concentration and other issues. We don’t want to be sucked into social media, but it seems as if our fingers are always itching to click on Instagram to see what the Kardashians are up to or on Facebook to see who tagged us in that horrible picture that never should have seen the light of day.

Oh well—better luck next year!

My name is Meghan and I am very excited to be Colgate's Campus Correspondent! I am a junior at Colgate and a Sociology major. My hometown is Manhattan Beach, California, and Colgate is such an amazing and special place to me (despite getting used to the brutal winters)! I love social media, writing, and photography, and can't wait to share all of the events, trending topics, and news happening at Colgate this coming semester!