Transgender November: Facts and Features

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Congratulations to everyone here on Mayflower Hill who survived the first week of November and the cold snap that came with it. Maine winters can get chilly and gloomy, but at least everyone is going through it together. In addition, this year, Colby’s Bridge is helping to brighten up the first cold month by recognizing Transgender November.

If you’re uncertain what Transgender November is, that’s okay. This is actually the whole point of the month. The Bridge is hosting events throughout this month with the express target of transgender recognition, awareness, and education. Transgender awareness and rights are becoming one of the bigger civil rights issues in the United States, and it’s not only limited to transgender people. It’s about anyone who doesn’t conform to the gender binary and social norms related to gender. For those who aren’t aware of terminology, here’s a quick definition reference.

• Gender Identity – how a person internally labels their own perception of gender.

• Cisgender – describes a person whose gender identity, expression, and biological sex align with each other.

• Transgender – describes all people who are not cisgender.

• Genderqueer – another term to describe anyone who falls outside of the gender binary, sometimes identifying as both a man and a woman or neither. This is often used synonymously with “transgender”.

• Bigender – describes a person who varies between the traditional gender identities of men and women, sometimes including a third gender.

• Third Gender – this is the gender category used for those who do not identify with the traditional genders of either “man” or “woman”, but rather a third.

Over the last few years, the majority of U.S. citizens have heard these terms thrown around in media articles, news reports, and court cases concerning transgender rights. It’s become an issue about things as small as who can use which bathroom, and whether one knows it or not, civil rights issues like these affect everyone.

If you’re invested or interested and want to find out more, then November on Mayflower Hill, thanks to the Bridge, is the perfect time and place to do just that. Look into all the incredible events being hosted this month and try to learn more about a subject that’s becoming more prevalent as the years go on. Thank you all for reading, and have a great Transgender November.

Picture Courtesy of the Colby College Bridge’s Facebook page

Natalie Jones is a first year at Colby College from Northern Maine. She hasn't declared yet, but is leaning towards a Double Major in Psychology and English. When not in class she mentors for CCAK, watches copious amounts of television, and of course writes and edits for Her Campus Colby.
Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!