yas necklace red lips sunglasses pink wall
Molly Longest / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

So your seasonal depression has set in. The sun sets at 4PM everyday, and the new spring semester grind is hitting hard. You feel stuck in a cycle of naps and homework and feel like nothing  fun is happening on campus. Why the funk? Honestly, it might be you. 

As all my fellow introverts know, staying in is pretty darn great sometimes. But staying in too often, especially when you live in Maine, is not always the best for you. Sometimes, you need to rally against the overwhelming need to nap and just say yes. Who knows? Maybe this is how you find a perfect new passion or meet your next best friend. No matter what, it’s important to be open. So for a week, I only said yes. To everything.

At first, it was really hard to remember I was doing this. It was just a reflex to say, “No thanks, I’m tired.” So I had to change my mindset and catch myself every time I was about to decline some invitation. But after a while, it became easier and easier, and I found myself actually looking for more opportunities to go out. By saying “yes” even when I didn’t want to, I went to the gym more, ate out with friends, spent more time being productive, and even traveled a bit more rather than sitting in my bed watching Netflix.

I also started getting more energy and feeling more excited for the day. When you have fun plans to look forward to, all the humdrum of classes and homework seem less draining, because you know once you’re done you will do something fun. I wasted less time while working and really motivated myself to be more efficient with work so I would have time to hang out, play cards, visit that bakery, see that movie, go to that concert, or spontaneously drive to another town.

Also, because I was forcing myself to say yes to everything, I didn’t have to weigh pros and cons or worry about what would happen if I committed to this plan or that. Since I knew I had to do it anyway, I just did and worried less beforehand. It was kind of freeing to not have to make those decisions. I just lived.

I also just found myself being a nicer person. When people asked me for favors like help on homework or to edit an essay, I said yes. It did add to my already busy workload and wasn’t always the most fun to do, but it felt really nice to help people and feel their gratitude. I was more intentional with my kindness, and it was really rewarding for myself and everyone around me.

That being said, while the power of saying “yes” to everything was a great experience, it is a bit of a relief now to say “no” and go to bed early. I’m definitely going to implement this more, but I would say that you don’t necessarily need to say “yes” to everything. Maybe just give yourself the opportunity and openness to say “yes” to some things, even when you don’t necessarily feel like it at the moment, and let new experiences surprise you.

Jade is a senior at Colby College majoring in Architecture/Urban Studies. She can often be found feeding squirrels around campus. Jade is always down for meeting new people and saying yes to new adventures, so feel free to say hi!