kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Midnight Walks and Moonlit Hikes: Nighttime Activities for Colby Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Having spent over a semester on a rural college campus, I can say with all honesty that it can be difficult to find nighttime activities to do that don’t involve partying. And now that it’s JanPlan  (when we have less homework to occupy our time) and winter (when the sun sets at 4pm), it can be even more challenging. However, I may have found a solution. Embrace the outdoors, regardless of the time of day!

This past week, I attended an Outing Club night hike up a local mountain. It was 10 degrees outside, and there was snow on the ground. By anyone’s concept of comfort, I should have stayed indoors. And yet, it was the best decision that I have ever made! We spent approximately 10 minutes reaching the summit of the mountain; then, we stayed up there and watched the moon, the stars, and the lights while enjoying conversation. It was the most peaceful I had felt in a while. And even better, time seemed to really slow down. I wasn’t watching the clock tick by; I wasn’t waiting to rush to my next activity; I was able to just stand and watch the moon. 

For a long time, technology detoxes and unplugging has been a movement. People are trying to dissociate from their phones. Now, being a proud member of Gen Z, I am well aware of the difficulties of putting my phone down for the entire day. However, I do believe in the importance in putting it down for periods of time. 

Sometimes it can feel really overwhelming; a new year, a new decade at that, with new goals, new friends, new relationships. I understand that, because I’ve been feeling it a lot too. And already, people are saying that 2020 is no one’s year. But, it really has just begun. If there is one thing that everyone has, it is time. Sometimes it doesn’t seem like it, and that’s why it is important to slow down. 

Even 30 minutes of just sitting or watching the stars can bring the power of time back into your own hands. Some people like to use that time to meditate. If that is something that works for you, wonderful! Personally, however, I can begin to feel cooped up in my room and want an escape. Going on easy hikes is a great way to get off campus, thus out of my room, and get some fresh air.

It doesn’t have to be 20 miles through the backcountry wilderness. Even spending just ten minutes hiking really helps to clear your mind. Seasonal depression is real, especially in places like Maine, so it’s important to get out and generate some endorphins. Plus, we had quite a few laughs both on the way up and the way back down. Grab some friends and make some interesting memories!

I'm an aspiring writer who sleeps a lot, eats a lot and reads a lot.