Makeup on a College Budget: Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

One of the biggest struggles of going to college is figuring out how to organize your makeup collection. There’s no room in college dorms for your beautiful vanity or extensive makeup setup. Trust me, I learned that the hard way. And, even worse, makeup organization can get so incredibly expensive. Some common acrylic makeup organizers can be over 100 dollars! So, girls, we have to figure out a more condensed, cheaper way to organize. But, don’t worry— I have some solutions!

There are many different ways to organize, and here’s my favorite:

Drawer Carts

Drawer carts are by far my favorite way to organize. They hold a ton of makeup (or anything you want to put in them), they’re fairly easy to move (most of them have wheels), and they’re SUPER cute.

You can find really affordable makeup carts pretty much anywhere online, but I prefer Amazon. This makeup cart below is my personal favorite, and the one I happen to have. I love this cart because it is black the frame is curved in and it is black and white, giving it a chic and sophisticated look. Also, it’s incredibly easy to put together—I did it myself!

Blue Hills Studio 13-Inch by 32-Inch by 15-1/2-Inch by Frame Storage Cart with 10 Drawers, Clear/Smoke

(get it here)

For some added inspiration, here’s what’s in my drawers:

1. Sample Drawer: All of my Ipsy and Sephora samples
  2. Face Drawer 1: Foundation, concealer, powder
  3. Face Drawer 2: Bronzer, blush
  4. Eye Drawer: Eyeliners, eyebrow pencils, lip pencils, mascara, eye shadow pencils
  5. Lip Drawer: Lip sticks/stains, individual eye shadows
  6. Makeup Palettes
  7. Makeup Remover
  8. Nail polish
  9. Nail polish tools
  10. Miscellaneous

Here are some other great carts:

Makeup carts are definitely my favorite way to organize. However, sometimes, there’s just no room for them, or they’re not practical. So keep you eyes open for my next blog post about more ways to organize!

Source

Source

Source

Source

Natalie Goodman is a sophomore at Colby with a double major in Government and French. Outside of class, she is a member of the French club, the theater club, and the Hillel on campus. She is in love with makeup, chocolate, and salt and vinegar Cape Cod potato chips.
Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!