This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Where are you from?

Hebron, Connecticut. It’s a small town 30 miles east of Hartford

Where do you live?

I live off campus at an undisclosed location.

What is your major?

Government and Global Studies with a concentration in Latin America.

What year are you?

2015

What do you do on campus?

I spend a lot of my time with the Outing Club (colby.edu/coc), leading trips and cleaning the office. I’m also a co-director of the Volunteer Center (colby.edu/cvc) and a COOT Committee member. Past that, I try to head out to the Hume Center woodshop as often as possible and I’m working on a quinzee so that I can have a place to crash at the end of a long day.

How did you become interested in these activities?

I love the outdoors and I love helping other people get outside; the COC and COOT are both great groups of really passionate people and they’re a blast to work with. I came into the CVC as the director of Alternative Spring Break my sophomore year and I’ve been there ever since. The woodworking comes from my dad—a self-proclaimed electrician and handyman—and the quinzee is nothing more than a pile of snow, some shovels and a dream!

What do you want to do after college?

I’ve always wanted to own a van and live out of it for a while, so I’m trying to line up some gigs and make that happen.

What’s the best COOT trip you have ever been on and why?

That’s a tough question. I’m not sure I can point to a favorite, but a couple of moments definitely stick out. On Mahoosuc Notch my junior year, it started pouring and thundering at 2am. We had to evacuate to the lean and try to warm up before taking on the Notch the next day. This fall I spent a lot of time on the St. Croix River; it’s absolutely gorgeous area and we had a lot of time to relax. And a couple of weeks ago, Jack/Ridge/JJR (still haven’t decided, sorry) had an absolute battle with a frozen waterfall… he dropped his axe twice but ended up on top.

What’s your favorite part of Colby?

Easy: Dana omelets on a Sunday morning. David knows my order and makes them just right every time.

What’s one piece of advice you have for Colby students?

Find what you’re passionate about and focus on it, but don’t be afraid to change. We have so many incredible and unique opportunities to explore new interests, step outside of our comfort zone, and get involved; but it can be overwhelming. When you find something you love doing, focus on that and forget about the things that you don’t feel passionate about. Become an expert in things other people find boring, because you want to spend your free time doing so. And when you find something new that you want to learn more about, throw yourself into that.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Colby?

Wilderness First Responder over this past JanPlan break. If you dislocate a shoulder by indirect force and you’re more than an hour away from definitive medical care, I’m your guy.

Favorite Dining Hall:

I make a pretty mean dish of something I call Fancy Ramen, but if I’m eating on campus, it’s Foss all the way.

Favorite Song:

At the moment, Skating Away by Jethro Tull. I make most major life decisions based on Ian Anderson lyrics.

Pet Peeve?

Harry Potter film adaptations that don’t feature Peeves the Poltergeist.

Coke or Pepsi

Moxie.

Starbucks or Dunks?

Jorgensen’s (or I guess Carrabassett).

Dogs or Cats?

Moxie.