Guide to Valentine’s Day: How to Survive as A Single Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

1. Don’t have a Valentine? Ask your best friend to be your Valentine. Exchange sappy gifts like chocolate and underwear. Go out to a fancy dinner and then spend the rest of the night watching movies and ordering pizza for your midnight snakc. Find hilarious Valentine’s Day cards on Tumblr and give them to each other. 

2. Have a Girls Night, or maybe just a night in with a couple of your good friends. Whatever you do, just stick with your other single friends. If you watch Parks and Rec, recreate Galentine’s Day, which is probably one of the best inventions in the modern era. Like #1, you can just do all the same things you would if you had a significant other, but with your lady friends, or you guy friends. Again, chocolate, sappy and stupid gifts, underwear – you know the deal. The epitome of Galentine’s Day is to celebrate your friends, so focus on your friend relationships this Valentine’s Day instead of your romantic relationships.

3. Be Your Own BF – Buy yourself the gift that you wanted – chocolate, pizza, classy (or sexy) lingerie, diamonds, you name it. This is the day to treat yourself. You are all you need in life—a partner is just a bonus. You shouldn’t have to wait for a relationship to get these awesome gifts! Be your own boyfriend/girlfriend.

4. Treat Yo Self. Let me say this again. Treat Yo Self. I know many of these suggestions have a similar thread of focusing on yourself, but really, this is the perfect opportunity to pat yourself on the back and recognize how amazing you are. Treat Yo Self to a spa day, go shopping. Or if you have a lower budget: paint your nails, make a DIY face mask, and do every DIY project on Pinterest.

5. Movie Marathon – When in doubt, numb your mind with unrelated plotlines and hot moviestars. It helps to have a theme. You could do all the Harry Potters, or Lord Of The Rings. Maybe only watch movies with Brad Pitt or Ryan Gosling (although beware, many chick flicks have Ryan Gosling). Watch horror movies or Indie films. Whatever you’re into!!

6. Create the perfect man/woman – All you need is a body pillow, fabric markers, and a little creative spirit. Buy a body pillow from any store, fabric markers from a craft store, then get to work on drawing the perfect boyfriend/girlfriend. Then you can cuddle with him/her all night long.

7. You can always treat Valentine’s Day like any other day. You have to be strong in order to do so, ignoring all the hearts and sappiness clogging the grocery stores and Internet. Maybe this is the day where you’ll get that paper done, finish knitting that sweater, or learn how to apply the perfect smoky eye. Eat as much Ben and Jerry’s as you normally would (I know I love it on any regular day). I mean come on, girls, is Valentine’s Day even a real holiday?!?

Natalie Goodman is a sophomore at Colby with a double major in Government and French. Outside of class, she is a member of the French club, the theater club, and the Hillel on campus. She is in love with makeup, chocolate, and salt and vinegar Cape Cod potato chips.