This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

As someone who grew up in a suburban area, moving to rural Maine was quite a change. From time to time I find myself missing workout classes, Trader Joe’s snacks and access to fun restaurants. Fortunately, just an hour’s drive away is Portland, a perfect place to relinquish stress and splurge on a fun afternoon. 

My friends and I began consistent trips to Portland this year when we discovered Reve. Reve is a boutique spin studio located on the outskirts of the city just off the highway. As a non-athlete, I find myself getting sick of running on the treadmill in the stuffy athletic center. Reve is the perfect place to escape a tiresome routine as the dark studio, motivating music, and fun instructors cultivate an environment that gets you excited to exercise. The studio offers a variety of classes ranging from ones with weights, ones that include dance, ones that focus on core, ones with circuits, and more. I highly recommend trying the acai bowl cafe, Blake Orchard Juicery, directly below the studio for a great breakfast or snack after your workout. 

After a spin class at Reve, venture down Exchange Street, a small cobblestone street with Lululemon, Anthropologie, Athleta, and Urban Outfitters right around the corner. If you’re like me, you love to shop. These stores are all perfect places to go if you’re in need of a new going-out top, or just love to browse. Additionally, if an acai bowl did not suffice The Holy Doughnut, also on Exchange Street, is another delicious option. Each Holy Doughnut is made from scratch and uses as many local ingredients as possible. These doughnuts stand out from all others as they are made from potatoes, giving them a deliciously moist texture that melts in your mouth. As a Holy Doughnut lover myself, I recommend lemon, chocolate coconut, and cinnamon sugar. 

If you’re looking for a more filling place to eat for lunch or dinner, American Flatbread and B.Good are yummy, affordable options. American Flatbread was the first restaurant in Portland I went to as a Colby student. Situated directly across from the harbor, this restaurant is perfect for lunch if you are in the mood for pizza and salad. B.Good, on the other hand, is ideal if you need a quick meal or want to grab something on the go. This farm-to-table restaurant has a variety of grains bowls, salads, and sandwiches that make for the best feel-good meal. My personal favorite from B.Good is the Mediterranean chicken bowl which comes with feta, tomato, cucumber, radish, romaine, super grains, hummus, and a red wine vinaigrette. 

After a fresh, healthy meal, I always make sure to stop at Trader Joes and Whole Foods on the drive back to campus. These grocery stores are located near the highway (close to Reve) and have the best snacks for your dorm room. I always make sure to get the garlic hummus, sesame sticks, pita crackers, everything but the bagel crackers, dried mango, and cookie butter cookies from Trader Joes. During the holiday season, my favorite treats are the mini mint star cookies, which are a perfect dessert if you love thin mints. At Whole Foods, I always get Hipeas (vegan cheese puffs), Late July organic mini cheese crackers, and Lesser Evil Organic Hymilan Pink Salt Popcorn. If I don’t have time to drive into the heart of the city after a spin class at Reve, I love to grab a make-your-own salad from the Whole Foods salad bar!

I hope that with this list you will be inspired to get out of Waterville and, like me, reminisce about things that you may miss from home.

I am from Palo Alto, California, am majoring in English and studio art