The Flannel: What’s All the Fuss About?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Flannels, as we all know for Colby students, are a pretty big deal. A student from not around these parts might ask: what’s all the rage about the flannel? Is it the comfort? The casual boyfriend edge they give off? The I-don’t-care-about-how-I-look-but-I-really-do look? Or is it just purely because it’s the only piece of clothing that isn’t in the laundry right now?

While doing some research on our favorite piece of clothing around campus, I was surprised to discover some fun facts about it. Did you know in Australia this material is called a Flanny? Okay, that one was kinda random, but the point is that flannel has been around since forever, and as I’ve noticed, is a pretty key staple in the dress code of any Colby student, be it boy or girl.

Students all over Colby answered this question for me: Do you like ‘the flannel,’ and if so, what’s your favorite thing about it? The general feedback was because they’re just SO COMFY. The girls I asked all discussed a common theme of how the casual “boyfriend” look was what they were going for; while some just said, “because I like them” (descriptive right?).When I asked people if they would rather wear a flannel to be chic or just because they have nothing else to wear that day, the common reaction was that they wear it with leggings, especially when there’s an 8 AM lab in the balance, but they don’t wanna look like a slob.Another great factor of the flannel is that you can get super chic shirts that are pricey, but also SUCH CHEAP shirts for nothing and they still look amazing! Between being flattering on literally everyone, comfy, and affordable, I can now see why this is the “it” shirt of Colby College.

Flannels are also becoming big staple in the fashion world, for example in Saint Laurent’s 2013 fashion show, which this model (pictured below) flaunts perfectly. This just goes to show that Colby students are following the trends of some of the leading fashion icons of the century!

So there you have it. Flannels are the look here at Colby, and clearly, everywhere! Although we are definitely not a campus that’s new to this idea, it’s interesting to get feedback from others and to see what makes this somewhat abstract-looking material so appealing!  

Here are some of my favorite options for the perfect flannel! Check’em out!

1. BDG Obie Flannel Button-Down Shirt: $49

2. After Party Vintage Tried and True Flannel in Forest Green: $42

3. Classic Gingham Boyfriend Shirt: $22.80

Source

Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!