This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Coming to Colby from the other side of the world, I was excited to be in a new environment with new people and experiences. Despite all the excitement growing in me since I committed to Colby, I was also worried about having bad homesickness, and , I was concerned about the fact that I wouldn’t be able to talk to my family and friends whenever I want to because of the 12-hour time difference.

While it’s crazy to think that I have already finished my first semester of college, it’s even crazier to think that the last time I was home was in mid-August. Throughout these past five months, there were times when homesickness hit harder than usual. However, as time went on, I found ways to deal with homesickness. Here are some of my tips and tricks  to make homesickness a little bit easier when it hits you hard. 

1. Know that it’s okay to feel sad

While homesickness is not the best feeling, it is important to know that it’s okay to feel sad about missing family and friends from home. The more you ignore homesickness, the worse it can get. And if you know crying will make you feel better, it’s more than okay to let it all out. 

2. Bring photos or decorations that remind you of home 

When I was packing for college, I made a list of things that would remind me of home. Just like a lot of people do, I brought photos of my family and friends with me to college.I also brought cards and sticky notes that my friends gave me, so I could put them on my wall and read them when I am not feeling the best. 

3. Write down your thoughts

I am not someone who usually keeps a journal or writes a diary, but I find it comforting to write down my thoughts when homesickness strikes me. Doing so allows me to express my emotions and provides me a way to get the sadness out of my system.  

4. Look after yourself 

Looking after yourself does not only mean taking care of your mental health, but it also means taking care of your physical health because they affect each other. College can be stressful sometimes, and it’s easy to forget that you have to prioritize your well-being. It sounds simple, but eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and working out regularly can help you be your best self!

Give yourself time to adjust and enjoy being at Colby because these four years will fly by before you notice! 

Priscilla is a sophomore majoring in Economics with a concentration in Financial Markets. She calls Taipei, Taiwan home and misses the food deeply... Besides Her Campus, she is also an active member of Colby Student Investment Association and Women in Economics & Finance Club. She also serves on the Student Government Association Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee!