This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

I don’t know if it’s the quarantine, but I am already so exhausted this semester! So many of my peers and even professors seem to be wiped out already, and we’re not even halfway through fall semester. It’s understandable, considering the fact that we were isolated for so long and now we’re on campus surrounded by people, have to put energy into our work, and the stress of balancing our lives. Although it’s really stressful, I thought of a few ways to get you guys through it!

Take breaks

I think it’s so easy to put pressure on ourselves that we need to grind grind and grind. I hate to break it to you, but that’s just asking for a burnout! It’s ok to take a break once in a while—after every hour, or after you finish a task, get up and stretch, and go check Instagram.

It’s ok to take a day off

Being a senior, I have the luxury of having Thursday afternoons and all day Friday off. Even if you don’t have a schedule like me, you can definitely find pockets of time to devote to hanging out with friends and going off campus for a bit, we are in Maine afterall! It’s so important to find enjoyment doing other things that aren’t academic.

Make a planner

Buying a planner isn’t enough. It’s really crucial to break down what you need to do day by day. For example: if you have 3 chapters to read and 2 papers to write, spread them out in chunks throughout the week! Obviously how you do that is up to you, but trying different methods of accomplishing tasks is part of the fun!

Work out / move your body

This is something that I learned the hard way during my time at Colby. I became so overwhelmed that I stopped working out. I became really self conscious about my body, and the downward spiral just got worse. If there is one thing I can recommend, it’s to carve out 30 minutes to an hour every day, or every other day, to move your body. That can be yoga, going on a run, or going to the (new and beautiful) AC, but it is so important for your mental and physical health. It’s also a good excuse to take a break!

Find a study spot

Finding a study spot is challenging, especially with Covid. My favorite was the Mary Low Coffee House, but unfortunately, it isn’t open for studying :( If you like the cozy, coffee vibes, I recommend Selah Tea downtown. I was never a fan of doing work in my room, but I find doing small tasks, such as writing emails, reading, etc. in my room isn’t so bad. I also recommend utilizing common rooms in dorms too if you need a spot!

Just know that academic burnout isn’t happening to just you—so many people are experiencing it this semester, and it’s completely normal. Take a deep breath, and remember that you’re gonna crush it!

I am a senior at Colby studying Art History and Global Studies. I love talking about art, coffee, and books! At Colby, I'm a barista at Mary Low Coffee House, a member of Asian Student Association, co-chair of Museum Student Advisory Board, and Colby Dancers. So happy to be a part of the HerCampus family!