5 Reasons to Love College in Maine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

If you’re a student at Colby College, you’re probably familiar with the question, “Why Maine?” Whether you’re from out of the state or you decided to stay near home, only the phrasing varies. Maybe we sometimes ask ourselves this question, as well. Why would a student from California, Texas, or Europe choose to move to a small town in New England? Why would I, born and raised on the very edge of “nowhere,” decide to remain so close to home?

The answer, however, is simpler than we may think. Maine is beautiful, and we on Mayflower Hill are incredibly lucky to have landed here. So, in celebration of the beginning of another year (and for anyone like me, our very first in college!), here is a list of reasons to love our home away from home:

1. The Seasons – Obvious, right? Maine is one of the few places in the United States that can rightfully claim to have all four (or five, counting the state of mud between winter and spring) seasons of the year. There may be negatives to any given month, but with those negatives come gorgeous positives. As we enter autumn, it may be growing colder, but with the drop in temperature comes changing colors in the falling leaves, cozy sweaters, apple cider, pumpkins and hayrides, and the crispest air around. When the temperatures reach negatives in December, we have the privilege of sledding, snowflakes, and comfy winter fashion. When spring finally comes around, to accompany the perpetual rain are flowers and the feeling of new beginnings. Few places in the world can boast such changes not only from season to season but month to month – on Mayflower Hill, we get the best of every climate.

2. The Great Outdoors – Anyone familiar with rural Maine is likely to list outdoor opportunities as an important characteristic of the state. Colby works to bring an appreciation of nature to every freshman with the unique experience of COOT. Few areas in the United States have such a wide array of activities in nature. We have everything from hiking on the Appalachian trail, kayaking and canoeing on lakes, rivers, and the Atlantic, to downhill and cross-country skiing, to sledding and skating in the winter months.

3. Community – A huge perk of being a member of a small town, and in our case a small campus, is the sense of community. Before coming to Colby, I heard that on Mayflower Hill it is uncommon to walk to a class without running into someone you know. I had a hard time believing this, but over the last month it has proved to be true. Being a member of a community of only 1800 students shapes the identity of everyone here. We all know and identify with each other, creating a common sense of belonging and community that is rare to be found elsewhere.

4. Diversity – Maine generally may not fit the technical definition of this word, but we are diverse in our own way. Nowhere else in the country will you find a population quite like that of our East Coast state. We may be known for our Bean boots and flannels, lobsters and blueberries, and Moxie and poutine, but there is so much more to every Maine community. This fact is especially prominent here on the Hill. Our community is made up of people from a myriad of backgrounds and identities, creating variety not only for Colby as a whole but within every individual who is granted  the privilege of spending time here.

5. Colby College – Last, but far from least. For everyone on Mayflower Hill, Colby College is the reason we’re all here. The beautiful Maine climate and the sense of diversity in our little community all combine to create a unique liberal arts educational experience that we will all remember for our entire lives. Why should we love Maine, our school, and every positive and negative that come with both? Simply the fact that every Mule is fortunate to be spending four years here on Mayflower Hill.
Natalie Jones is a first year at Colby College from Northern Maine. She hasn't declared yet, but is leaning towards a Double Major in Psychology and English. When not in class she mentors for CCAK, watches copious amounts of television, and of course writes and edits for Her Campus Colby.
Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!