Sweet Potato With Pecans
Sweet Potato With Pecans
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon

What To Do With Leftovers: Thanksgiving Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Turkey, Gravy, and Veggies

Turkey is basic, versatile and ideal for just about anything. You can make sandwiches with it or turn it into something. The easiest way to use both the turkey and the abundance of gravy that is always leftover, as well as miscellaneous veggies, is to make a pot pie. As someone who is lazy and also likes to cut corners, I enjoy using premade crust and biscuits to top my pot pies. 

Ingredients:

• Turkey

• Gravy

• Veggies (carrots, peas, corn, etc.)

• Biscuits

• Pie Crust

Bake:

Bake at 400 degrees until biscuits are golden brown. 

Mashed Potatoes

Day-old mashed potatoes are not a favorite of my family. This prompted a creative journey of trying to find ways to use leftover mashed potatoes. I was bored with potato pancakes and couldn’t come up with anything else. I went to google for answers. I found something kinda weird but also interesting. Mashed potato cupcakes. They looked like potato cupcakes and I was determined to try them. The recipe seemed easy enough, I had to mix the potatoes with eggs, cheese, and seasoning. After it was all mixed I would have to bake it. 

Ingredients:

• Eggs

• Mashed Potatoes

• Shredded Cheese

• Seasoning

• I used garlic powder, onion powder, chopped onion, sour cream & onion dip, and basically whatever else I had in my kitchen cabinet that might taste good. 

Bake:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake until golden brown (30-35 minutes)

Sweet Potatoes/ Sweet Potato Casserole

If there are any sweet potatoes leftover they can be used in a really simple way. If you have pie crust around or even refrigerated biscuits this is going to be the easiest recipe for you to follow. Depending on how you seasoned your sweet potatoes you might decide to add cinnamon, sugar, or vanilla extract to the sweet potatoes before adding the mixture to the pie crust or biscuits. 

Ingredients:

• Sweet Potatoes or Sweet Potato Casserole
  • Cinnamon 
  • Sugar
  • Vanilla Extract
  • Biscuits or Pie Crust

Bake:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cook until golden brown.

Michelle Boyette

Coastal Carolina '22

Michelle is a student studying public health, psychology, and creative writing. She is hoping that through her writing she will spark joy and change in a world that is desperately in need of both.