This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one of those holidays that you either love or hate. You either adore a box of chocolates in the shape of a heart or you roll your eyes and scoff as you walk by the designated Valentine’s Day aisle in Walmart. Whether you’re spending Valentine’s Day at a fancy, overpriced dinner with your partner, or you’re wrapped in a blanket like a burrito and shoveling ice cream into your mouth while Netflix asks if you’re still watching, it’s time for you to meet the only valentine you’ll ever need: yourself.

I’m sure you also rolled your eyes at the previous sentence. Yes, self-love has become yet another internet fad, and it’s just as cliche as a dozen red roses. #Selfcare is associated with showing off your charcoal face mask while taking a bubble bath and listening to Harry Styles’ newest album on repeat. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad thing to publish your night of self-care on your Instagram story. All I’m saying is that self-care shouldn’t be limited to a social media trend.

When self-love isn’t showing off your skincare routine on social media, it’s often associated with being conceited and self-absorbed. Even the Merriam-Webster dictionary says self-love is synonymous with conceit, vainness and vanity, which can make us feel guilty for expressing love for ourselves.

Despite public perceptions of what self-love is and how it should be expressed, I encourage you to embark on the great journey that is loving yourself this Valentine’s Day. Instead of waking up on Valentine’s Day with a deep disdain for all the happy couples you will encounter, try waking up with your arms stretched upward and your mind open to a day filled with utterly loving yourself. A change in attitude is truly the first step.

No one will judge you for hyping yourself up in the mirror, I promise. There’s no shame in making faces at yourself and posing in your favorite outfit as you admire just how great you look. Whether you’re going for an all-natural look or you’ve got glitter on your eyelids, make sure to remind yourself how absolutely stunning you are. I guarantee your miniature self-appreciation session will boost your confidence and your mood for the rest of the day.

Remember the power of treating yourself. If you’re craving a grande frappuccino with whipped cream from Starbucks, go for it. If you would rather spend your break between classes hanging out with friends instead of getting a head start on next week’s research paper, go for it. If you want to go to bed at 8 p.m. on a Friday night, go for it. Even the littlest things become the largest forms of self-care.

Know what you need. There are the essentials like food and water, and then there are the others. The others include a break from your hectic schedule and a moment of complete silence for you to regroup. The others may also include spending time with your loved ones and watching your favorite movie for the hundredth time. Sometimes you just need to do you.

Self-love and self-care aren’t limited to the single pringles this Valentine’s Day, of course. They are for each and every one of us. If you’re someone who will be receiving a giant teddy bear holding a heart that says, “I love you,” or if you’re someone who will be hiding under the covers until the holiday is over, spend Valentine’s Day shamelessly loving yourself.

Angelica Pizza

Coastal Carolina '21

Angelica is a student at Coastal Carolina University studying communication, journalism and women's and gender studies. She has a passion for writing and hopes to pursue a career as a writer or editor for a magazine.