This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

With the pandemic that’s going on right now we’re being told to practice social distancing (staying home and away from other people as much as possible) in an effort to slow down the spread of the virus. Now, being forced to spend time at home sounds like a dream to some but it gets a bit boring after a while – you can only watch Netflix all day for so long. Here’s a list of things you can do while still practicing social distancing. 

1.    Spring Cleaning and Reorganize 

With so much time on your hands, you may as well clean or reorganize your living space. Reorganizing a space can make the room feel different. It gives you the chance to go through all your things and figure out what you really need and what you don’t. Go through your closest and pick out clothes you don’t want anymore and bag them up to donate when it’s safe to do so. Redecorate your room to fit your personal aesthetic. Right now, is the perfect time to deep clean things you don’t normally have time to, like your fridge, pantry, etc. Take this time to make your space more comfortable and clean, because we don’t know how long we’re going to be dealing with this. 

2.    Get Artsy

Even if you’re not an “artist” do something crafty. You can paint pictures to put on the walls in your room, make little doodles or drawings in a sketchbook, do a photo-shoot of your pet in the backyard, try out a new makeup look. Art doesn’t have to be perfect, just create and have fun with it! 

3.    Read

This one should be obvious, we have the time, why not read? I’m sure there’s a book you’ve been thinking about reading or really wanting to but just haven’t had the time or gumption to do so. Well here’s the time to do it. 

4.    Workout 

Most gyms are closed, and you shouldn’t be going to them anyway because of how easy it is to pick up germs there. Luckily you can still get that summer body because you don’t need a gym to workout. There are millions of YouTube videos to follow for at home workouts. Also go on walks or runs in your neighborhood, trails or parks, as long as you’re keeping your distance from people you’re all good!

5.    Write

This is a super stressful time for people, schools are getting shut down, people aren’t able to work, we can’t leave our houses all that much, it’s a crazy time. Write out how you’re feeling or just write about whatever you want. Social distancing can be hard and lonely, it’s good to get feelings out or at least distract yourself for a bit by putting pen to paper. 

6.    Make a Schedule

It’s easy to get out of schedule when you’re spending day after day shut in your house. Try to make it a point to keep a schedule so when all this is over you aren’t completely thrown off. Try to wake up and go to bed around the same time and at normal times of the day, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, make sure you’re giving yourself time to do homework because we still have online classes to take care of, create a morning and evening routine and also make sure you’re getting in some exercise or movement. Schedules will help to keep you on track and make things easier for when we transition back to normal life. 

7.    Online “Window” Shop

For all my shopaholics this is a must. Real life shopping isn’t safe to do right now, but luckily in this day and age we can pull up a whole store on our phones. Browse through the online catalog as you would a normal store, but in the safety of your home. 

8.    Learn a Tik Tok Dance

There’s so many different dances so why not take an afternoon to learn how to renegade? Maybe you’ll get Tik Tok famous while you’re at it. 

9.    Get Netflix Party

Missing movie nights with your friends? Use Netflix Party, it simultaneously lets you and your friends stream Netflix at the same time. There’s also a sidebar so you and your friends can discuss the movie as it’s happening. 

10.  Create a New Playlist 

Take this time to discover new music and create playlists that make you feel good. Music can really set the tone for how you’re feeling in the moment – make sure your playlist reflects the way you want to feel – good – during isolation. 

11.  Bake or Cook 

I’m sure there’s recipes you’ve been dying to try, take this time to bake some vegan brownies or learn to cook your favorite pasta dish. We’re all stocked up on food, why not take the time to make some good dishes. 

12.  Meditate

Again, this is a very stressful time. For people who get out of the house and keep themselves busy to help with their mental health, social isolation can really take a toll on that. Taking a few moments out of the day to just sit with yourself, reflect, clear your head and breathe can help so much.

Hopefully this list helps give you a couple of ideas to try out while you’re all practicing social isolation. Stay safe and healthy, don’t touch your face and wash your hands!

Paxton Granger

Coastal Carolina '21

Paxton is a Graphic Design and Art Studio major with a minor in Photography at Coastal Carolina University. She helps take photos, create designs and co- runs social media for HerCampus.