The Kanye and Kim Drama: Mental Health Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Mr. West is not shy of public criticism or controversial moments. As most people know, he wrongfully stole the rightful spotlight from Taylor Swift at the 2009 VMAs. He has called himself “Yeezus”, and even appeared on the 2006 Rolling Stone cover with a bloody crown of thorns. Another thing he has done was ask Mark Zuckerburg for 1 billion dollars to invest into “Kanye West ideas”. In 2018, he also went on Twitter talking about how slavery was a choice. His tweet stated: “When you hear about slavery for 400 years. For 400 years? That sounds like a choice.” He also brought DaBaby and Marilyn Manson on stage at his Donda listening party in 2021, both DaBaby and Manson were facing sexual assault and/or homophobic accusations against them. 

Most recently, he has aired private conversations between him and ex wife, Kim Kardashian. Despite Kanye’s rough history, it can be argued that his most controversial period is now. Since the divorce of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, Kanye has been posting some scary and outlandish things on his Instagram. The since deleted posts feature criticism of Kim’s co parenting skills, criticism of Pete Davison in general, and more. Kanye’s posts also feature criticism of his daughter North about why she is being allowed to have access to TikTok. Kim quickly responded to the TikTok issue, saying, “Kanye’s constant attacks on me in interviews and on social media is actually more hurtful than any TikTok North might create…As the parent who is the main provider and caregiver for our children, I am doing my best to protect our daughter while also allowing her to express her creativity in the medium that she wishes with adult supervision – because it brings her happiness.” Kim has always been vocally supportive of her kids and all of their endeavors. On a 2021 episode of KUWTK, Kim further spoke in tears about their relationship and how she could not keep doing it. It was extremely taxing on her mental health as he would have all of these ideas and move to a different state at least every year. She further expressed how she had to raise the kids and could not keep following all of his wild endeavors. She never once said he was a bad parent. In fact, she said he was “an amazing dad.” This was just another example of Kim blaming herself for an irrepressible Kanye. 

It has got to be taxing to have such a public relationship and one where the ex does not respect boundaries of when NOT to post certain issues and conversations. In other deleted posts, he has uploaded specific iMessage screenshots to Instagram of Kim wishing to keep conversations private. He also posted screenshots of Davisdon saying that he would never get in the way of the kids and hopes everyone can be friends. Despite Kanye’s supposed hatred for Kim’s new relationship, Davidson has done nothing personal to the kids or Kanye other than make Kim happy. Kanye’s Instagram eventually got so outlandish to the point where he had to write the date on a piece of paper and then take a picture with it to prove that his account was not hacked. All of this has led Kanye to be pictured as controlling and to almost have the “if I can’t be with you no one can be with you” mindset towards Kim. 

At the end of the day, none of us truly know these people. We can only go by their statements and actions. Although, Kanye has admitted to dealing with mental health issues. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2016. Since then, Kim has been worried about his manic episodes, which have been clear the past few months. Bipolar manic episodes can contain extreme highs and extreme lows. Anyone who has an impairing mental health condition needs to seek help, and Kanye has all the resources he wants to get the help he needs. Whether you enjoy his music or clothes, it can be mutually agreed that he has some work to do. This work starts with helping himself and getting him back on the right track for his future relationships and his relationship with his kids.

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 

Caroline Surface

Coastal Carolina '25

Caroline is a junior Interactive Journalism Communication major at Coastal Carolina University. She is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and has two cats and one dog. She was on the yearbook team all throughout high school, which is where she found her passion of telling stories through writing.