This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Studying is undoubtedly the most important as well as the most time-consuming aspect of college. I mean we are here to get an education, but every student has days lacking motivation. Especially going to school in South Carolina, when the majority of the year is perfect beach weather, it can be hard to hunker down and do the work. Here is a review of some of the best places to study on and around the Coastal campus that may give you the extra push you need to get going on your next big assignment.  

The Edwards Courtyard is a fan favorite when it comes to study spots on campus. The courtyard is in the center of the Edwards HFA building. The focal point of the courtyard is a magnificent old school style fountain. What makes this spot so perfect for studying is that you will always find music majors practicing out there. Who doesn’t love to listen to some background music while writing that long essay?

The Science Circle Courtyard is another popular study location. Especially popular with science majors (obviously) is it a great way to get to know your fellow students. What I enjoy most about this location is the abundance of palm trees and sunshine.

The off campus fan favorite is C3 Coffee Bar located right across Highway 501 by Tropical Smoothie. This coffee shop is more than just a regular coffee shop. It is decorated with plants and bookshelves and intricate lighting, making it the perfect “pinterest” coffee shop. That is not to mention the actual coffee, which is a-maz-ing. What makes it even better is that it is run by the Rock Church. All the baristas are volunteers and all the money goes to whatever project the church is working on at the time.

There are plenty of study spots for coffee lovers who want to stay on campus as well. I spend a lot of time studying at Einstein’s Brothers Bagel Company located in Brittain Hall. On nice days I sit outside but for the colder months, sitting inside is just as nice. The best part about this spot is that sometimes, they have free samples. The second on campus coffee lovers spot is Starbucks located in Kimbel Library. Again, on the cooler days I’ll stay inside but when it’s nicer out I sit at the picnic tables outside. Being attached to the library, it is great for studying and an easy place to focus.

When it’s nice outside you can always find people reading and writing in their hammocks on Tradition Lawn. Right by the new dorm circle, it’s an ideal spot for freshman. In addition, at this spot you can experience a luxury often taken advantage of by Coastal students; there is a perfect view, and sometimes even a little splash, from the fountain.

If you live in University Place or commute to campus and do not feel like bringing your hammock over to the dorms you can always relax on the picnic tables all around Prince Lawn. There are plenty in the sun closer to the food truck, but I always claim a spot under the trees in the shade where there is a nice cool breeze. Once again, this study spot provides you with a calming view of yet another beautiful fountain perfect for a studying backdrop.

Another favorite spot for commuters is the commuter lounge. Although, one of the best hidden secrets on campus is that you can take advantage of the massage chairs even if you are not a commuter.

The top favorite spot by many CCU students is perhaps the most defining part of getting an education in Myrtle Beach, SC – the pools. Coastal Club, the Cove, and Bellamy on weekdays are known for having less wild pool scenes, making it an ideal spot to finish up some readings and get a tan all at the same time.

Holly McGrath

Coastal Carolina '22

Holly McGrath is attending Coastal Carolina University as a double major in Intelligence & National Security Studies and Psychology with a pre-law minor. Originally from Connecticut, she is a Boston sports loving, snow hating, Dunkin' drinking New Englander. As a student-athlete on the Dance Team she always has her Chants up! When not on campus you can find her at the outlets or by the pool.