This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

When being asked to “give back” it often feels like a slap in the face at times, because as college students we’re typically the ones in need of some aid. However, it’s very important to be aware of our privileges and understand that we all have the power to make a difference. Don’t worry about not having a surplus of funds or time, there are still several ways we give back. There’s no doubt that after 2020, the world is in need of some serious TLC! In honor of Valentine’s day, here are some ways you can give society a little love. 

1. Using your social platforms to bring awareness: Social media and the internet are obviously huge parts of society. Consider sharing your social spotlight with some social issues or charities/organizations that you’re passionate about. That way you expose your followers, friends, and family. The more informed people are, the more likely they will take steps to help the cause. Just make sure all the info you’re posting/sharing is accurate. 

2. Volunteer: Looking for something to give your resume a boost? Have no fear you can volunteer! ( I had to). Volunteering is actually very flexible, it can be long term or short term.There are annual events like Relay for Life and Sucide Prevention walks.Then there are places like the Humane Society and soup kitchens that allow you sign up and help whenever you want. If looking to be more committed to voulteering, places like rape crisis centers and hosptials will typically use a volunteer for a minimum of 6 months. Volunteering is a great hands-on approach to making a difference.

3. Eco-Friendly habits: Be nicer to the environment. Consider creating eco-friendly habits/changes in your daily life like switching to reusable products such as straws, bags and bottles, carpooling, using public transportation, and consuming more eco-friendly foods. Also encourage friends and family to participate so you all can take a step closer to a sustainable planet. 

4. Run! Nope, not for office. I’m talking about the sweaty kind. If you happen to find yourself with some money you want to donate, consider participating in a race. There are several marathons, half marathons,10ks, and 5ks that give the entry fee money or a percentage of it to charity. In my hometown, our annual marathon money goes to cancer research centers, local public schools, and other local organizations. They also match any additional donations made by participants. Finding races and registering is easy and is usually done online. There is a  Covid-friendly option too, virtual runs.  This allows people to run at home then submit their time to the race officials. Witnessing the amount of people come together and dedicate their time to a good cause feels very wholesome, and not to mention completing a race makes you feel very accomplished. 

5. Spread Some Kindness: Ahh the power of kindness. Little acts of this go a long way, so show love to the people around you. Something as little as giving a compliment can turn around someone’s day. Make it a goal to say or do something nice for someone every once in a while. 

Sure, celebrities and influencers may be giving away thousands of dollars to citizens in need all over social media, but being rich and famous is not a requirement to give back. Never underestimate your ability to make a difference.

Kevlyn Lewis

Coastal Carolina '22

Kevlyn is an undergraduate student studying Communication and Spanish at Coastal Carolina University. She is passionate about writing, photography, and health & wellness. In her free time, she practices yoga, runs 5ks, and binge watches TikToks.