Feature Hero Oat Milk Hero
Feature Hero Oat Milk Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Wellness

How I Made my Own Oat Milk & Why You Should To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

I think Oat milk is the best non-dairy milk, and I swear no one can change my mind on that. In my opinion, it’s the creamiest, smoothest, and most flavorful option. Despite how good it is, I slowly found out this year that store-bought oat milk is not REAL oat milk. Most store-bought oat milks are loaded with preservatives, fillers, and oils. Going to a store and actually reading the ingredients list on the back of some of these oat milks was shocking. Not only is it better for you to make your own oat milk, but it’s actually cheaper. Saving a few bucks for any college student is valuable.

This recipe is simple. It includes super cheap ingredients. You can get a huge tub of oats from the grocery store for less than $3. You could use the same tub of oats to make a few batches of oat milk and weeks worth of oatmeal. As far as sweeteners for the oat milk, I use pure maple syrup in my oat milk. Pure maple syrup can be pricey, but you could always choose to opt out and use cane sugar or dates instead. Another vital thing you will need to make this oat milk is a nut bag. A nut bag allows you to strain the oat milk and get out all of the fine pieces. I bought a pack of two off of amazon for less than $7. Whenever I am done making the oat milk, I rinse it off and throw it in my washer. Nut bags can also be used to strain things like: soup, juice, and other types of non-dairy milks. 

The Recipe:

Ingredients:

• 2 Cups of Oats
  • 6 Cups of Cold Water
  • 2 Tablespoons of Maple Syrup
  • Pinch of salt

Will also need: Blender & Nut Bag

Step 1: Place oats, cold water, sweetener, and salt in a blender.

Step 2: Blend for 30-40 seconds.

Step 3: Pour increments into a nut bag and strain into a storage container. Recipe should make around 5 cups of oat milk. It lasts in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Seriously, this recipe is so easy and I think it tastes the best. I love to use this oat milk to make overnight oats, chia pudding, and matcha lattes. So throw away your Silk brand oat milk, and try something new!

Caroline Surface

Coastal Carolina '25

Caroline is a junior Interactive Journalism Communication major at Coastal Carolina University. She is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and has two cats and one dog. She was on the yearbook team all throughout high school, which is where she found her passion of telling stories through writing.