This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Being sustainable on a college campus can seem like a challenge, but there are many little ways that you can reduce your environmental impact every day. By acting more sustainable, you’re acting in a way that’s good for yourself. There are, of course, the environmental advantages, but also the financial advantages. Be good to the environment and your wallet all at once by following these examples.

Use the Reusable

It might seem like common sense, but using reusable products can have such a major impact on a college campus. In regards to dining, use your reusable water bottles. There are fill stations all over campus. Using a reusable water bottle means that you can save money with refills and catch up on all of the latest sticker trends. If you’re more of a coffee addict, then you should invest in one of the reusable cups from Einstein Bros Bagels or the Starbucks on campus. Not only would you be reducing your waste, but they have cheaper refill rates. One of the biggest ways to reduce your environmental impact is by limiting the use of plastic materials. An easy way to do this is to start using reusable straws and silverware in your dorm and around campus, also saving money with a one-time purchase instead of constantly restocking.

Eating Habits

The way you eat can have a major impact on your environmental footprint. While you may not be willing to give up meat, focus more on avoiding red meat. Red meat creates a huge environmental impact with the way in which cows are mass produced. When you grocery shop, pick the “ugly” fruits and vegetables. So much produce is thrown away because it’s deemed unappealing when in reality it tastes the same. Some stores and new delivery places are offering discounted rates for such produce.

Energy

One major way to be more sustainable is to eliminate vampire energy, which is the energy that electronics use while being plugged in, but not turned on. This is a huge issue on college campuses with so many students using so many different devices in such a condensed area. Not only will this help you be more sustainable, but for those living off campus, it can help reduce your electricity bill. Unplug things you aren’t using and take advantage of power strips. By utilizing power strips, you can easily unplug and plug in multiple electronic devices at once.

Hayley Salsberry is originally from Fredericksburg, VA and is attending Coastal Carolina University for a Hospitality Resort & Tourism Management major with minors in Marketing and History. She is a Pinterest addict and loves to travel. You can usually find her using all of her campus dining dollars on a pink drink at Starbucks or reading on the beach. Follow her Instagram for more @haylstorm09
Olivia Burke

Coastal Carolina '19

Olivia Burke is a college student, freelance writer, and campus correspondent at Coastal Carolina University. She has written about everything from Valentine's Day to political candidates. When she isn't studying or working on a new article, she is either eating fresh hibachi or catching up on This Is Us on Hulu.