Wellness

Everything I Know about Life (so far) Going into My Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

2022 was probably one of the most challenging, weird, and interesting years of my life. I loved, I laughed, I cried, and most importantly, I made memories. Every new year, I like to reflect on my life. This includes reflecting on things like my goals, my relationships, and what I enjoy doing. Obviously, I enjoy writing and sharing my thoughts through that particular creative form. I also found a love for reading this year and getting crafty with hobbies like sewing. In addition, I love spending time with my family and close friends, and I am also getting plugged into different avenues that will hopefully help me land a career job. Overall, I am proud of myself this year! I have a negative tendency to be hard on myself, but I have done a great job. Here are just some of the important things I am going to focus on going into my twenties!

1. People are Mean

This one is a given. People are mean, cruel, evil, malicious, and downright awful. While this sounds negative, it is true. But, this statement doesn’t apply to everyone. With how much bad is in the world, there is the same amount of good. That said, don’t let people walk all over you, use you, and please, for the love of god, don’t be too nice. Now, be nice to people as far as giving them compliments, brightening someone’s day, or talking to someone who looks lonely. When I say don’t be too nice, I’m referring to hurting yourself to cater to someone else’s needs or staying in a situation/relationship that you hate to benefit someone else. I think as women, we are taught to be overtly kind. We are trained to be polite no matter what, to not step on people’s toes, and to ‘be a lady’. No one should be expected to act a certain way just because they are a woman and vice versa. 

1. Find Yourself

I always get confused about the idea of ‘finding yourself’. Whenever someone tells me that I always think they are trying to be this mysterious, “not like other girls” type of person. But, to me, finding yourself means finding out what lights a fire inside of you, your interests/hobbies, your goals, and who you enjoy spending time with. It also could mean finding out what heals you/makes you feel fully charged. Despite some exceptions, I believe you need to be single to find yourself. Without the constant influence of someone else, you can focus on what you want and sometimes being single is a blessing so that you can focus on your needs first before someone else’s. It’s all about self care!

1. What Works for You May Not Work for Others and That’s Okay

I saw this play out in my life so much this past year, so this statement really resonates with me. But, it’s so true. For example, last semester I lived off-campus and it was fine, I met some good people, and had new experiences and memories. Although at the end of the day, it wasn’t for me. I didn’t see it being worth the money since I could commute, I didn’t like basically living in 2 different places, and I wanted to spend time with my family before I possibly moved away for a career job. I didn’t necessarily need a reason, but I chose what was best for me. I know others who would totally disagree with me and that’s okay. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but someone else’s opinion shouldn’t knock down yours. 

1. You are the #1 Person Who Holds You Back

In other words, you are your biggest enemy. That means that my biggest enemy is Caroline Surface. It’s sad, but true. I encourage you to adopt the idea that nobody cares about you as much as you may think they do. Think about it. As people, we are self-absorbed. We study ourselves in the mirror, analyze what we’re wearing, obsess over our social media posts, and constantly think about how we are perceived by others. Even if you don’t do all of these things, you most likely do at least one. The lesson to be learned from this is that whether you are breaking out, not feeling yourself one day, or are insecure about something, I guarantee you are probably the only person who could give 2 fs. That being said, don’t let an insecurity ruin your day. Instead, take away its power by telling yourself you are beautiful. A beautiful person is more than their face or their body. Period.

Caroline Surface

Coastal Carolina '25

Caroline is a junior Interactive Journalism Communication major at Coastal Carolina University. She is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and has two cats and one dog. She was on the yearbook team all throughout high school, which is where she found her passion of telling stories through writing.