Life > Academics

5 Tips to Make Spring Semester 2022 the Best One Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Fall Semester is finally over! I don’t know if it was just me, but this past semester was rough. As a freshman, I was just getting used to campus and what groups I fit into. In addition to not knowing anyone, it was a tough transition from high school. Although it sucked that I had a rough time, I was able to learn some important information. Here are 5 tips to help make our spring semesters 1,000 times better than our fall semesters:

Get involved in clubs!

Although this is something everyone says to do, it can be harder than it looks. This is because it can be intimidating as a freshman, and you may not even know where to start. My university has an organizational kickoff day, where students can go around to different booths to hear about the different clubs the university has to offer. The good thing is that most colleges have something like an organizational kickoff day. It is a fun thing to do with friends, and it is a wonderful opportunity to meet new people. When looking around at different clubs, I would suggest picking out something that works with your schedule so it doesn’t stress you out. Also be sure to pick something you know you would enjoy! Clubs in college are usually laid back and allow your creative side to truly come out!

Designate time to do schoolwork

This is a tip I cannot stress enough. Something I am going to try and implement for this semester is to save the weekends as my free time and work hard during the school week. Whether you live on campus or commute, I would suggest doing your schoolwork somewhere besides your bedroom. This is because your bed will tempt you to stop working and sleep, which tremendously takes away one’s focus. This “work space” could even be a desk in your dorm, the library, or a coffee shop. 

Communicate with the people in your class

It is so easy to get to class on your first day and immediately just go on your phone for an awkward 5-10 minutes before the professor comes in. Instead of taking the easy way out, ask how someone’s day is or compliment them on what they are wearing. Not only does this help you start a conversation, but it makes you familiar with the people in your class. If for some reason you have to miss a class, you can reach out to the people you have become familiar with to help catch you up to date.

Participate in the class discussions

Not only does this benefit your grade in the end, but it helps you understand the class more. When you are actively participating in class discussions, you can easily ask questions and make sure your voice is heard. There have been many times where someone points out something that I never thought of before!

Lastly, have confidence!

Even if you are not completely sure if an answer is right or if you look your best that day, fake it till you make it. So much of one’s appearance is based on the way they carry themselves. Professors will be more impressed by someone who carries themselves maturely and confidently, as opposed to someone who knows it all. Everyone who goes to college is here to learn, and you are not expected to know anything and everything already. Keep your head up high! It’s going to be an amazing semester!

Caroline Surface

Coastal Carolina '25

Caroline is a junior Interactive Journalism Communication major at Coastal Carolina University. She is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and has two cats and one dog. She was on the yearbook team all throughout high school, which is where she found her passion of telling stories through writing.