alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

“A voteless people is a hopeless people” is one of the main factors behind one of CNU’s biggest annual events, Stroll to the Polls. The men of Alpha Phi Alpha hold this event in order to promote voting and to raise money for March of Dimes. Eight teams spent the weeks leading up to stroll fundraising in preparation and then competed in a “stroll-off.” The night was filled with energy. Everyone was pumped to entertain, and it was all for a really great cause. Stroll to the Polls VI was packed and ended up raising $2500 in support of March of Dimes!

The evening started out with a special performance from the ladies representing the Beautiful Kids Organization, a group that supports and brings awareness to children living with alopecia. Upon announcing this performance, the Alphas also announced their upcoming event: Bald For a Cause, where they will be shaving their heads and donating hair, as well as allowing others to do so. 

The ladies of Delta Gamma

In between performances, there were multiple raffle draws (everyone that attended got a raffle ticket), and the audience watched a really great video featuring Barack Obama about the top seven excuses people have for not voting. 

Of course it wouldn’t be Stroll without a performance from the Alphas themselves, and they did not come to play. Despite only having three members participating, they absolutely killed it. Their routine was high energy, lengthy, and obviously well rehearsed. It was evident that they put a lot of hard work into their routine and the event as a whole. 

Then came everyone’s favorite part: the winners. There was a little trouble with the voting (the online link wouldn’t work), so they did it by audience noise level for each team. At this point, the energy in the room was absolutely insane. Everyone was going wild for their favorite teams, screaming as loud as possible. Each and every team had a ton of applause and noise, and it just showed how much support was in the room. The Alphas announced that Alpha Phi had won the fundraising portion of their voting (raised the most money), and that Gamma Phi Beta had won the social media portion (gotten the most likes). Then it was time to announce who won overall. 

Hypnotic Control, the 3rd place winners

Alpha Phi, the fundraising champs, claimed second place

Gamma Phi Beta, first place winners

All in all, it was clear that every team had a great time and that the audience also enjoyed the night. Stroll is a lively event that supports multiple good causes. Don’t forget to vote on November 6th!

Reader. Writer. Student. Friend. 
Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Christopher Newport University.