Meet The CNU Farmer’s Market Vendors Pt. 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Meet our next round of CNU Farmer’s Market vendors!

Ask Hampton Roads Green

Who: I met with Allison Watts and Ivan Shelton who are from different counties throughout Hampton Roads and have joined together to promote environmental awareness. Watts is from the Newport News Department of Engineering and Shelton comes from the York County Environmental & Developmental Services.  

What: “We’re here to promote basic environmental practices and keep Hampton Roads clean,” said Watts.

Seasons in attendance at the market: “This is actually our first time here!” said Shelton.

What’s your favorite thing about your company?: Watts stated, “We like getting the chance to meet Hampton Roads community members face-to-face to spread environmental awareness and outreach.”

Learn more about environmental efforts in the area and how you can help!

Broken Arrows Farm

Who: Chandra and Danny Christmass are the couple behind this wonderful farm.

What: Supplies the community with holistically raised meat and eggs.

Seasons in the attendance at the market: “We’ve been here since the beginning,” remarked Chandra.

What’s your favorite thing about your company?: “We loving doing the farmer’s markets because we’re both extroverts and get to share the wonderful work we’ve been doing. It’s been a lot of fun and we get a lot of awesome customers.”

Check out some delicious animal products here.

Liliko’i and Beards & the Bees

Who: These two CNU student entrepreneurs decided to save on money and space by renting a vendor spot together. Brooke Ferrell (right) started her crocheting company from her passion for crocheting. Dillon Coon (left) began his beard care company out of his love for organic care.

What: Ferrell creates beautiful crochet pieces like necklaces and bikini tops while Coon makes organic, natural beard care products.

Seasons in attendance at the market: This was their first season here!

What’s your favorite thing about your company?: Coon shared, “I’ve been using organic, natural facial care products for a while so I started making my own. I love sharing it with others too.”

What’s your favorite part about the CNU Farmer’s Market?: “I started doing this on my own so coming here is like joining a big family. Plus I get my stuff out more and I get to buy cool plants!” said Ferrell.

Want some handmade tops?

How about beard care soap?

Crazy Pops

Who: I spoke with Brian, the co-founder of this awesome company, who works with the creator, Will Allman.

What: Gourmet popsicles for the young and old.

Seasons in attendance at the market: 2nd season.

What’s your favorite part about the CNU Farmer’s Market?: Brian shared that he “…went to CNU so it’s always nostalgic. I can see my dorm room from here and I love the culture that’s risen here. It’s good stuff.”

The Greek Market

Who: Argie Markis, whom I spoke with, and her mother-in-law, Loula Markis, run this company together.

What: Greek treats.

Seasons in the attendance at the market: “This was our second season!”

What’s your favorite thing about your company?: “The fact that we enjoy what we do and show off our culture.”

The Dream Shop

Who: I spoke with (in order as pictured above) Carolyn Cabel-Jones, Lea Pellett (one of the founders of Maasia American Organization), and  Laura Dollieslager, the co-creator of the Dream Shop.

What: These ladies provide handmade, fair trade gifts from around the world in order to raise money for those who made the gifts.

Seasons in attendance at the market: The ladies have been vendors here for two years.

What’s your favorite thing about your company?: Dollieslager answered, “The patient volunteers are able to use their strengths to help people who live in countries very far away.”

Want to get involved? Look here OR check out their Facebook!  

River View Plantation Trading Co.

Who: From the “forgotten backwoods of the James River county, or God’s country,” I spoke with Eric Stoll, the co-founder/owner/CEO/cheap labor.

What: Handmade jams, butters, and more.

Seasons in attendance at the market:  “I’ve been here for two full seasons.”

What’s your favorite part about the CNU Farmer’s Market?: “Getting to meet new people. I need people in place of my bad habits.

Check out more of their products! 

Sinful Treats

Who: Stephanie Rolla (above) and her mother run this joint.

What: Exactly what it sounds like.

Seasons in attendance at the market: First season.

What’s your favorite part about the CNU Farmer’s Market?: “I love it. It’s a demographic I don’t usually get to hit. I love seeing young people and this school take charge to back this movement. Plus, I went here!”

Stuft

Who: Brothers Casey (left) and Alex Haas manage this delicious food truck. Amy Wright (right) is a long time friend and worker.  

What: “Not your average street food.”

Seasons in attendance at the market: This is their sixth season, aka their third year!

What’s your favorite part about the CNU Farmer’s Market?: Casey answered, “I like seeing the same people every year and then seeing them graduate. They’re so stoked about the market and I love it. I also like the stuff people sell here and everything we get the chance to buy, like the popsicles, organic produce, jams, pizza…”

Follow them on Facebook.

Hey there, reader, my name is Colleen! I am a biology and leadership studies student at Christopher Newport University. My passions lie within the environmental realm, feminism, activism, and pretty much any of social justice and economic movements. I also love dancing (I'm in a kick ass, all girls hip hop group called Hypnotic Control and danced competitively in the ballroom world), climbing (bouldering has screwed me up so I top rope nowadays), and being loud (I can't help my voice levels sometimes, especially when I'm excited). My goal on this site is to promote feminism for what it really is: equality of the genders. I also aim to demonstrate how the environmental movement is a movement of movements. Issues such as racial inequality, student debt, anti-abortion laws...they all have similar roots that tie them to environmental justice. I hope you enjoy what I have to offer!