This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

It’s the new year, so it’s time for a new me, a new outlook, and a new life tbh. Every January 1st swipes the board of last year clean and opens up new opportunities and plans intended for the upcoming year. Some had a rough 2023, while others had a rather uneventful year. Then there are some who had a great year and want to carry that same energy into 2024. 

Journaling is a great way to keep a record of one’s thoughts, feelings, and emotions. It’s always fun to open up an old journal and look back at all of the times and memories you’ve had. There’s a healthy combination of nostalgia and cringe when one looks back in the past, but it’s rather remarkable to see how one has grown and changed as a person. 

No matter what type of year you’ve had, here are some journal questions that cover all areas above and beyond. Whether you want some deep and insightful, reflective and memorable, or fun and goofy journal entries, this article has all the entries you need!

1. Was there a memory or event that you would like to relive from last year? If so, Why?
  2. Do the people I hang out/spend time with reflect different parts of myself? If so, what are those traits/qualities of myself?
  3. The projects I want to complete by Dec 31, 2024 are:
  4. Sunshine meter: This Journal entry has you keep a record of whenever something happened to you that brightened your day or made you smile when times were rough. It could be something someone did for you or something you did for yourself, or even something that happened by chance.
  5. Space for Photo album for all of the mems!
  6. Record of my favorite song of the month/week:
  7. What can I tell my inner child today?
  8. Scribble and draw whatever you want. Then write about how it makes you feel.
  9. What is holding me back from achieving what I want? What can I do about it to achieve my goal(s)?
  10. What can I let go that isn’t serving me good energy anymore?
  11. Things I value about my friends/family/partner:
  12. What personality/character can I play tomorrow? What happened when I did? Did anything change? 
  13. Have a no-phone day and then write about what you did and how you felt in your journal.
  14. What did I learn about myself from the past year?
  15. How can I live my best life this year?
Abigail Lee is a Junior at Christopher Newport University. She is a Communications Major and a Writing Minor. Her hobbies include cooking, playing the ukulele and longboarding. Her favorite show is Avatar the Last Airbender and her favorite movie is the Parent Trap(the one with Lindsey Lohan :)) .