This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

On November 17th, six A Cappella groups took the stage as they performed at the annual Glow in the Darcappella event at Christopher Newport University. As soon as everyone walked through the doors of Ferguson Center, you could feel the energy and excitement! As the entire theater became pitch black and the crowd’s chatter began to quiet down, it was time for the show to begin. CNU’s dance group Hypnotic Control kicked off the show with a lively performance to get the audience hyped up – they definitely succeeded!

The first group to perform was an all-female A Cappella group called The Newport Pearls. Dressed in pink and yellow glow in the dark clothing, The Newport Pearls sang “New Rules” by Dua Lipa, “Most Girls” by Hailee Steinfeld, and “Sorry Not Sorry” by Demi Lovato. The performance was wonderful, and left the audience looking forward to the rest of the night’s performances!

Trebled Youth, a mixed A Cappella group, was next on stage. They sang “Human” by Rag’n’Bone Man, “Whatever It Takes” by Imagine Dragons, and “No Witness” by LP. The emotion and passion that radiated from Trebled Youth was immediately reciprocated by the audience, leaving them speechless.

Up next was another all-female group called Take Note. They took it back to the 80’s, starting their performance off with the song “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston. They then sang “Praying” by Kesha, leaving the audience in awe with the emotional performance. Take Note finished their performance singing a brilliant take on “As Long As You Love Me” by Justin Bieber mixed with “Drag Me Down” by One Direction.

Expansion, the only all-male A Cappella group at CNU, started their performance singing “Eleven Blocks” by Wrabel, following that with “Alibi” by Clans, and finishing off singing “Attention” by Charlie Puth. Their performance was breathtaking and left everyone wriggling in their chairs for more!

The next group to take the stage was another mixed group called University Sounds. They began their performance with the song “Yellow Flicker Beat” by Lorde, followed by “To Be Human” by Sia. University Sounds finished off their performance with the song “Believer” by Imagine Dragons, resulting in an emotional audience and a standing ovation.

Closing the event was Extreme Measures, the newest mixed A Cappella group at CNU. They started off singing “Stay” by Zedd & Alessia Cara. They then sang “Heavy” by Linkin Park, and finished the show strong with “Someone New” by Hozier. 

The performances left the crowd cheering and applauding with a standing ovation. The event was one for the books and all six A Cappella groups did an amazing job! If this event inspired you to be a part of one of these talented groups, auditions are held every Fall semester so be sure to mark it in your calendar! 

Nina is a senior at Christopher Newport University pursuing her BA in English with a concentration in writing. She has a passion for writing and helping others as much as she can, and hopes to work for an organization that will help make a difference in people's lives. In her free time, Nina enjoys reading, spending time with family and friends, and taking long naps.