stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Five Tips on Achieving your New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Welcome to 2019 everyone! 2018 was a mixed year for me, personally, so I am welcoming the new year with optimism and excitement. As it is the new year, many people (including myself) have New Year’s Resolutions so they can try to be a better “them.” However, for a lot of people that have a New Year’s Resolution, they won’t ever complete it. They’ll forget about it or lose interest after a few months. Here’s a few tips to achieve those resolutions!

1. Make your resolution specific. 

Don’t just say, “I want to learn a new language!” or, “I want to lose weight!” These goals are vague and nonspecific and as a result, won’t solidify in your mind. Instead say, “I want to be able to speak conversational Spanish by the end of this year,” or “I want to be able to lose 15 pounds by the end of this year.” With specific goals, you’ll be able to tackle them more easily.

2.  Make a plan.

Cliche, I know, but there really is good in making a plan because you’re pressured to stick with it. Set dates, and find ways to tackle your goals little by little. Write down your resolution, and keep track of it!

3.  Tell other people your resolution.

Telling others about your resolution will give you more reasons to do it, as they will remind you or ask updates about how your resolution is going.

4. Be realistic.

Becoming completely fluent in Spanish by December may be a lot… Consider how much you already have to do every day, and work your resolutions around that. 

5. Don’t beat yourself up.

Okay, so maybe you didn’t follow your plan exactly… That’s okay! Don’t beat yourself up about it. Tomorrow is a new day. Pick it up again, and make some changes along the way to help you stick to your goals.

Hello, my name is Isabella and I am a 22-year-old senior. I'm a psychology major and women & gender studies and writing minor. I have an intense love for cats, social justice, feminism, and fandom life [name a fandom, I'm probably in it]. I'm a huge book nerd as well as a huge just, regular, nerd. You can find me sitting in my bed typing an article, procrastinating homework, or watching YouTube.