Fall Recipes: Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Hello, everybody! I am happy to announce that it is fall. The weather is in the 50s-70s, making it a good time to start my fall recipe series. Every year I am desperately waiting to get the slightest hint of fall, whether that is the leaves changing colors, decrease in temperature, or Starbucks’ annual PSL (still haven’t had one because its been in the 80s, but with this new weather, we will see). Once I get the hint that fall is either here or on its way, I start thinking of what to cook. I hope you enjoy part one of this fabulous fall series.

Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1 cup butter

3/4 cup white sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 egg

1 (15 ounce) pumpkin puree

1 (3 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups confectioners sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease baking sheets.

Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and ginger together in a bowl. Beat 1 cup butter, white sugar, brown sugar, 2 tsps. vanilla extract, and egg in electric mixer in a large separate bowl. Beat in pumpkin puree. Gradually stir dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture (batter will be moist).

Spoon batter by teaspoonfuls about 2 in. apart on baking sheet.

Bake in oven until cookies are lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 tsp vanilla extract in bowl with an electric mixture until soft and creamy. Beat in confectioners sugar about 1/2 cup at a time until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Frost on cooled cookies.

Tips

Be careful with the pumpkin puree. One time I added too much, and they were not baking properly. It was a disastrous situation.

It already says this in the directions, but do NOT put the frosting on until the cookies are cool.

Have fun baking! I hope you all enjoy these pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting.

Hi everyone my name is Nicole and I am a senior at CNU. I am majoring in psychology and am currently applying to graduate school to become a licensed counselor. I currently enjoy watching American Horror Story with my roommates and reading.