College Drinking: What’s Healthy and What’s Not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

The semester is starting back up, which means all-night study sessions with stacks of books and a strong pot of coffee at your side. It also means seeing old friends and making new ones, joining fun new clubs, and hanging out at some awesome parties. Sure, sometimes the parties get a little too awesome, and you end up having a little too much to drink. But that’s fine, right? I mean, this is college, and doesn’t every college student go on a couple of benders?Drinking in college will look and feel different for every student. Some students choose to stay dry all throughout their academic career, and that’s fine. Other students choose to be social drinkers, and that’s also a valid choice. But when does social drinking become binge drinking? And when does binge drinking become addiction? Alcohol creates blurry lines, making it hard to tell whether you’re drinking a normal amount or if you’re drinking a bit too much.

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, low-risk drinking for women is having no more than 7 drinks a week and no more than 3 drinks per day. For men, it’s no more than 14 drinks a week and no more than 4 per day. So, if you’re looking for a quick way to evaluate your drinking habits, use these numbers. If you’re within these limits, then you’re more than likely doing fine!

Now, it is important to remember that this is not a hard and fast rule. Generally, women should consume less alcohol than men due to body composition. However, every woman’s body is different, so the way each person’s body metabolizes alcohol is going to be different. For someone relatively small, 7 drinks a week may be too much, while fuller-figured women may find that 9 drinks a week is a better limit for them.

What happens if you have 7 drinks a week at first, but soon you start consuming about 10 per week? Maybe you even have over 15 some weeks. Eventually, you stop paying attention to how much alcohol you’re consuming. It’s way too easy to become addicted to alcohol, and it’s much harder to realize and accept your addiction. The ugly truth is that about 16 million people in the United States suffer from alcohol addiction. How do you know if you’re one of them? The NIAAA has created a helpful checklist for those wondering if they’re suffering from Alcohol Use Disorder. If you find yourself agreeing to most of the items on that checklist, it may be time for you to find help.

Despite all this talk about alcohol addiction, there’s no need to freak out just yet. If you’re a social drinker and/or an occasional binge drinker, the chances of you becoming addicted to alcohol are low—about 2 in 100. Don’t be afraid to order a cosmo every now and then! Just make sure you’re being smart and safe about your alcohol consumption.And remember kids, don’t drink and drive!

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.