This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

In the wake of the Manchester Arena bombing at her Dangerous Woman Tour show in May of 2017, pop and R&B singer Ariana Grande took a step back from recording music.

In April of 2018, Grande dropped the lead single “No Tears Left to Cry” from her fourth studio album, Sweetener. Grande had a triumphant return to the music industry with this song, topping the industry charts.

About four months later, Sweetener was released in its entirety. According to Grande, the album is about “bringing light and comfort to a situation or to someone’s life.” Hence, a heavy theme of optimism is prevalent throughout the tracklist.

The album, described by Grande herself simply as “weird,” projects an entirely new sound for the New York-based singer. Her first two albums cultivated the image of Grande as the girl with the high notes and high ponytail with their respective singles “The Way” and “Problem.” Dangerous Woman, the penultimate album in her discography, allowed deeper insight into Grande’s musical capabilities, confounding slowly her previous portrayal. On Sweetener, Grande finally displays the authenticity and originality in her musical style.

What distinguishes Sweetener from Grande’s previous albums is the production style and the influences used to create it. Produced largely in part by R&B and funk musician Pharrell Williams, Sweetener embodies a much more syncopated sound. In contrast, much of the inspiration for the album was derived from classic and retro sources. This dissimilarity produced a unique new sound for the album.Grande’s success with Sweetener so far has not been limited. According to the charts, old fans and new listeners alike have been enjoying the tracklist from start to finish. Here are some of my favorites:

“God is a Woman” and “Successful” are complete girlboss anthems, celebrating female liberation, sexuality, strength, and success. “Everytime” and “Better Off” reflect the all-too-relatable struggle of feeling dependent on someone else, and respectively the aftermath of leaving such a relationship. “Breathin” speaks on suffering from anxiety, hitting deeply personal and emotional notes. “R.E.M.” and “Goodnight N Go” are fun tracks about that initial crush that every girl recognizes. “Get Well Soon” is a self-care anthem preaching on mental and physical health awareness.

Although Sweetener is a different sound for Grande, I am definitely enjoying it. Stream Sweetener by Ariana Grande here on Spotify!

Lauren is from Richmond, Virginia. She is majoring in English and planning to pursue a Masters degree in education. She can usually be found reading, volunteering, lifting weights, and/or jamming out to Ariana Grande.