Style

5 Body Positive Clothing Brands You Need in Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Do you dread shopping at mainstream stores?

Do you hate staring at photos of impossibly thin, impossibly smooth women in shop windows? Do you feel really uncomfortable watching yourself get undressed in the dressing room mirrors? Me too.Shopping at mainstream stores can be a really stressful time, especially when you’re insecure or uncomfortable with your body. Even if you are confident in the way you look, photoshopped pictures of gorgeous models can make even the most confident woman feel like a sack of potatoes. That’s why I decided to look for body positive clothing stores that everyone will feel comfortable shopping at. No more body shaming or feeling worthless–these stores have got your back:

1. Aerie

Price: $$

Aerie is a subcompany of American Eagle Outfitters, which specializes in intimates, activewear, and swim. Aerie believes that we need to accept and celebrate all body types, so the company never retouches photos, includes female models of all sizes and races, and specializes in high quality pieces that are designed to look great on every body. With swim outfits and bras ranging around $30-$40, Aerie can be on the pricier side for many women. However, its pieces last an incredibly long time (I’ve had an aerie strapless bra for six years, and it’s still in good shape), so it’s worth investing the money.

2. ModCloth

Price: $$$

ModCloth is a semi high-end boutique retailer, but unlike many other higher-end stores, it is all about body inclusivity. ModCloth offers nearly all of their products in sizes 00-28, and it showcases models of all different races and body types. The company also takes care to design pieces in all different kinds of cuts and styles, so every person can enjoy wearing a flattering outfit. Because ModCloth pays such special attention to every design, and because it uses high quality fabrics, shopping there can get really pricy. A dress will cost you around $100 and a pair of jeans around $70. Like Aerie, though, every clothing item is crafted with care, so the pieces will last you almost forever.

3. Asos Curve

Price: $-$$$

Asos Curve is a brand of Asos, which specializes in plus-size fashion. Asos Curve proudly sells affordable everyday wear to everyday plus-sized women. What’s really cool about Asos Curve’s website is that it includes videos of models walking in the clothing, so you know exactly how something fits before you buy it. Asos Curve sells everything from formal dresses to lingerie to accessories. Because of this, its product prices vary widely. You can find things for as cheap as $5 or as expensive as $300, so make sure to check out pricing before you ship your box.

4. Neon Moon

Price: $$

Neon Moon’s slogan is “badass underwear for badass women,” so you know the company keeps it real. Neon Moon not only features women of all different body types and races; they also never retouch photos and include women of all sexualities. The company only sells bras and underwear, and it only uses the best materials and machines to make their products. Neon Moon’s prices are similar to Aerie’s, with bras costing around $35 and underwear around $25. But, like Aerie, all of its pieces are designed to be worn and worn for a ridiculously long time.

5. Dear Kate

Price: $$/$$$

Dear Kate specializes in period underwear, period activewear, and period dancewear. While the company suggests you still use feminine products (like tampons, pads, or menstrual cups) on heavier days, it claims that its products can hold up to two tampons worth of blood. Dear Kate never retouches photos, showcases models of all sizes, and uses refreshingly honest rhetoric. The company is on the pricier side for lingerie, with its underwear costing around $40 a pair. However, each pair cuts down on the cost of feminine hygeine products, so you end up saving money in the long run. Plus, all of Dear Kate’s products are made with high quality fabric and the latest technology, so they’re designed to last through tough wear and tear.

There you have it! These are five amazing clothing brands that are refreshingly honest and body positive. While most of them do cost more than buying underwear at Walmart, they all will last much longer than Fruit by the Loom panties. It is my sincere hope that women will begin investing more of their money in body positive brands like these, because only by changing our consumer patterns will we change the corporations. 

Did I leave out your favorite body positive clothing brand? Let me know in the comments below!

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.