bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Healthier Food Alternatives That Actually Taste Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

It’s in the culture of our own country to love junk food. Pop-tarts, ice cream, pizza, cookies – you name it, we love it.

With that being said, in the recent years, people have been becoming more health-conscious in their diets.

We should all value our health so we can embrace our fullest potential, and that does include being conscious of what foods we put in our bodies. However, it’s no secret that “eating healthy” isn’t ~super~ appetizing to most.

But have no fear, I have four food alternatives that are healthy and just as delicious as the foods you may be craving…

1. Kodiak Cakes

Kodiak Cakes is a recently-popularized brand of pancake and waffle mix that has changed the healthy breakfast game. Packed full of protein, whole grains, and fiber, this breakfast is nutritious and simple. Just add water for three delicious pancakes, clocking in at an incredibly low 190 calories with 14 grams of protein.

2. Low-calorie ice cream 

Low-calorie ice creams are not a new concept to you, I’m sure, but I thought I’d include them as a reminder. There are numerous brands of low-calorie, high-protein ice cream, such as Halo Top, Arctic Zero, and Enlightened. Most of these pints clock in at around 300 calories and 20 grams of protein.

3. Banza

Banza is a pasta substitute made out of chickpeas. If that doesn’t sound appetizing to you, just hear me out. It comes in almost every shape, including rotini, penne, linguini, and shells. Top it off with some marinara sauce, olive oil, cheese, beef, chicken — whatever you like on your pasta, and I promise it’s pretty much the same as our beloved white pasta! It clocks in at 220 calories and 13 grams of protein per serving.

4. Protein bars

Protein bars are an amazing substitute for candy bars. This has been one of the easiest replacements I’ve personally made in my diet. In fact, I crave a Clif Bar more than I crave a Hershey Bar now! Check out my article about protein bars for more information on my personal favorites. Usually, these snacks clock in at around 200 calories and 15 grams of protein per bar.

Those are four dietary changes I’ve personally made and would recommend to anyone looking to “healthify” their diet. However, enjoying all of the yummy foods that life has to offer is important as well! Don’t forget to treat yourself every now and then with a trip to IHOP or your favorite pint of Ben & Jerry’s.

Do you have any other food swaps you love? If so, let me know in the comments!

Lauren is from Richmond, Virginia. She is majoring in English and planning to pursue a Masters degree in education. She can usually be found reading, volunteering, lifting weights, and/or jamming out to Ariana Grande.