10 Things You Should Know about Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Recruitment is an exciting, nerve-wracking and exhausting process. It helps knowing a little bit about what to expect, though!

1. Bring water!

Not only will you be talking a lot, you will have to raise your voice in order to carry a conversation because of all the talking and commotion around you. Your throat might get a little sore, and your voice may even be a little shaky after you’ve completed several rounds. Water helps!

2. It’s cliche, but go in with an open mind

Although my first choice remained constant throughout the entire process, and is the organization I received a bid from, I am glad that I allowed myself to enjoy my experience talking to girls in other sororities and learning about their philanthropy and values. I developed a genuine respect and better understanding of each of the sororities.  If I hadn’t have been open-minded, I don’t think I would have realized how genuine my connection to my organization really is. And for some, being open-minded leads them to a different home than they anticipated, and that’s okay too!

3. It’s not as scary as it sounds

The girls on the other side want you to like and connect to them just as much as you want them to like you. It’s not a job interview, you’re just having conversations about service, sisterhood, and values… and it’s totally okay to get off topic and talk about The Bachelor, too.

4. However, it is exhausting

This is especially the case if you are an introvert like myself. I don’t say this to discourage introverts from going through the recruitment process, but make sure that at the end of the day you give yourself the rest you need and deserve. After running home, your new sisters will be so excited to meet you – which is absolutely amazing and fun – but remember to take care of yourself through the whirlwind of meeting sisters and attending events.

5. It goes by fast

The weekend is a blur. Literally, it flies by, and suddenly you are running home, wondering what the heck just happened. It might take a little while to process, and that’s okay. If you’re a bit out of it at your Bid Day after party, no worries – you’re not the only one.

6. Don’t let stereotypes get to you

Every Greek organization has a reputation of some sort, and while certain aspects of these perceptions may ring true, there are a lot of rumors and misconceptions floating around as well. Not only about specific sororities, but about Greek life in general – it’s not about catiness and partying and dating frat boys, it’s about dedication to philanthropy, lifelong sisterhood, and shared values. I never saw myself going Greek, but I could not be happier with my decision.

7. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your Recruitment Counselor (RC)

Whether you’re feeling a little stressed and upset, or are excited and relieved, talk to your RC! She is there to help you, and she disaffiliated with her organization to be there for you. She wants you to reach out, she wants to help you, or celebrate with you.

8. Be ready to be vulnerable

I know this sounds intimidating, but conversations can become serious and emotional during the later rounds of recruitment, especially preference round. Sisters share personal stories about how their sorority has impacted them, which is touching, and you will be in an environment where it is okay and welcomed for you to open up, as well. It’s okay to get serious, and it’s even okay to cry.

9. Think of recruitment as a very personal experience

There is a reason PNM’s (potential new members) are not supposed to talk about their rounds during recruitment – it is a reflective process in which your opinion is the only one that matters. If a friend says she didn’t like an organization that you felt a great connection with, do not let that sway you.

10. Finding your home is so exciting!

Running home is not only a cathartic conclusion to a crazy weekend, it’s the start of lifelong sisterhood with amazing women. Not everyone feels “home” right away (although that’s awesome if you do) and there’s nothing wrong with that. But the girls you ran home to will always be there for you, and that’s pretty amazing.

cnu 2022 she believed she could, so she did