kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Social and Situational Smoking: Why Girls are Still Lighting Up Despite Health Risks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Cruella Deville, Lucille Ball, Audrey Hepburn: Chances are, these names conjure images of fashionable women holding cigarettes. Though smoking was considered chic in the past, today’s anti-smoking campaigns, indoor smoking bans, and warning labels on cigarette packs say quite the opposite. What’s more, the decline in regular smokers in the US shows that people are listening. So why do some collegiettes who identify as non-smokers still light up at parties or during finals week?  

Social Smoking

“I just like the instant bond you feel when you smoke with someone,” says Laura*, a self-proclaimed social smoker. She understands that cigarettes are horrible for her health, but reassures me that she’s “not addicted” and only “smokes when she’s drinking.”

Parties and concerts are prime venues for social smoking because alcohol is usually involved. Though there is little research proving an indisputable link between alcohol’s affect on cigarette cravings, recent studies have shown that people who drink large quantities in a short amount of time are more likely to crave the rewarding effects of nicotine in conjunction with their alcohol buzz1. This may explain why college students (i.e. prime binge-drinking offenders) often smoke at social gatherings. Regardless, nobody wants to smell like an ashtray when they’re out, so don’t get into the habit. 

Stress Management

Some people use smoking as an attempt to relax when they’re stressed. While it’s true that a calming effect takes place in the brain within the first 10 seconds of inhaling cigarette smoke, don’t let the buzz fool you– the sense of calm disappears almost as quickly as it started, leaving you wanting more. Ironically, smokers often experience a higher level of stress a few hours after smoking, inciting more nicotine consumption. If repeated regularly, this process results in nicotine withdrawal symptoms and potential addiction2.  So, relying on nicotine for stress-relief is a dangerous crutch, especially for busy collegiettes seeking calm from ceaseless job, school, and social stressors. Hitting the gym, yoga mat, or talking to someone are waaay more effective and beneficial in the long run.

Weight Control

One of the main reasons addicted smokers refuse to quit is for fear of weight gain. Similarly, college girls who feel pressured to stay slim may be more likely to try smoking for its appetite suppressant qualities. I’ve heard girls say that they’d rather smoke than drunk eat when they come home from a party, and though I’ll admit that the prospect of eating leftover pad thai at 3AM is unfavorable, the addiction-potential when using cigarettes for this purpose is much scarier. Once you’re hooked, you face sagging skin, yellow teeth, and wrinkles. I think I’ll take a few extra pounds, thank you very much.  Besides, smoking has never been, and will never be, a magic weight loss trick.

Bottom line: smoking for any reason has cumulative damages, meaning there is no “healthy” amount. Occasional smokers often disregard health risks en lieu of smoking’s perceived benefits and the “I can stop whenever I want” attitude. But the truth is that the path to addiction is a slippery slope– after all, people who smoke out of necessity didn’t choose to become addicted. Quit while you’re ahead and your body will thank you in the long run.

*Name has been changed to protect identity

1. Medical News Today

2. Mental Health: Smoking

Sophie is a senior studying creative and professional writing at CMU. She loves good restaurants, traveling, and anything French. When she's not writing, Sophie can be found doing yoga or catching up with friends over a good cup of joe. She loves producing content for HC and hopes to make feature writing into a career.  
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.