samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Thoughts You Have Before Declaring Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

CIT freshmen will be declaring their majors on March 24 at Major Declaration Night.  Upperclassmen probably remember going through the same process over which freshmen are currently panicking.  It was a little bit stressful, but hopefully it all worked out in the end.  In honor of this exciting time in a student’s college experience, here are 7 thoughts you have before declaring your major:

1. “I have literally no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life.”

Can I be a professional Netflix binge-watcher? 

2. “I’ll just do whatever will make me rich.”

How hard can computer science/medicine/law/engineering be?

3. “Everything is just so hard.”

*cries in a corner after 15-112*

4. “What if I don’t like my major once I declare?”

How many times can I switch?  2?  15?

5. “I like this, but I don’t want to live in a cardboard box after graduation.”

Is the job market really that bad for philosophers?

6. “What will my parents think?”

I’m trying to make you proud, I promise.

7. “I think I finally found what’s right for me.”

At least I hope so; I can’t afford another year of CMU.

Best of luck to everyone who is declaring his or her major this spring!

Western Pennsylvania, born and raised, in Hunt Library is where I spend most of my days. Freakin' out, studying, not playing it cool, 'cus I have so much homework to do at this school. Then I went to the gym, it's my primary bae, hoping that all my stress would just go away. But it didn't, oh well, I just stayed up til 2. That's when I decided to write for HC CMU.
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.