danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Traveling to Job Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

This week, I flew to San Francisco for a job interview. Waiting at the gate for my flight home, I overheard a conversation between two other travelers that began, “You go to CMU too, right?” I soon realized that there were no less than five other CMU students on my flight. Whether you’re looking for an internship or searching for a job, traveling to other cities has become common practice. Here are some tips to help make the process a breeze.

1. Don’t check your bag at the airport

Checked bags sometimes get delayed and sometimes get lost. When it’s your interview outfit inside, you can’t afford to take any chances. Be sure to pack a bag that you know is small enough to carry onto the flight, and don’t let it out of your sight.

2. Do check your bag at the hotel

Depending on your travel schedule, you may need to check out of your hotel room before you leave for your interview. That doesn’t mean you have to haul your luggage along, though! Most hotels will be able to check your bag for free and keep it somewhere safe until you’re ready to come back and pick it up.

3. Pack a backup outfit

You’ve probably picked out the perfect interview outfit in advance, but did you pick out two perfect interview outfits? The morning of my interview, I managed to tear the sleeve of my blouse and had to change at the last minute. Be sure you have a spare in case of disaster.

4. Check the weather in the city you’re traveling to

You might think you know what the weather will be like where you’re going, but weather can be unpredictable. The day I spent in San Francisco was chilly and rainy, and I wished I’d brought a raincoat instead of the light jacket I’d packed.

5. Ask your interviewers for travel tips

If you have time to explore the city, ask your interviewers which sights they recommend! Even if you don’t, get recommendations for where you should have lunch or dinner. It will give you an opportunity to talk more casually with your interviewers, and it will give you something to talk about in your follow-up emails.

Safe travels, and good luck!