freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

As Valentine’s Day comes around, couples and friends alike find themselves trying to figure out how to best express their love for one another. The classic way to do this is with flowers, usually with roses. This makes sense – roses represent love, after all – but sometimes plain old ‘love’ isn’t what you want to get across. So here’s some more unusual bouquets and their meanings to give you a unique gift for your Valentine this year.

1. Globe amaranth, which means ‘unfading love’

This bouquet, with its messages of love lasting over time, is perfect for a long term relationship where you want to express how strong your love is, even over the years.

2. Ambrosia, which means ‘your love is returned’

This bouquet is all about mutual love and affection, and is great for reminding someone who loves you just how much you love them back.

3. White camellia, which means ‘perfected loveliness’

A beautiful flower that means perfect beauty, of course, is great for reminding someone that they’re perfect to you, no matter what.

4. Red chrysanthemum, which means ‘I love you’

This bouquet is a classic message, I Love You, that encompasses the message of Valentines perfectly.

5. Clematis, which means ‘a beautiful mind’

This bouquet is great for telling someone that, while they’re beautiful, they’re more than just a pretty face – you love all of them, their smart mind and beautiful heart included.

6. White clover, which means ‘think of me’

This bouquet is humble but meaningful, and is wonderful if you can’t be there for valentines. Because of it’s simple nature, it’s probably best to get another gift to go with it, though…

7. Forget-me-not, which means ‘true love’

While the name often gives a different message, this bouquet traditionally means true love and is a simple but stunning gift with heaps of meanings behind it.

8. Gilliflower, which means ‘lasting beauty’

Another one for long relationships, gilliflower’s meaning of lasting beauty is a reminder that no matter how much time passes, their beauty to you never fades.

9. Gladiola, which means ‘strong character’

This bouquet means strong character, and tells someone just how fantastic and powerful you think they are.

10. Heliotrope, which means ‘devotion’

This bouquet has a classic meaning – devotion. Who wouldn’t want a gift that showed how devoted their partner is to them?

11. Yellow jasmine, which means ‘grace and elegance’

Besides just being a graceful and sweetly fragrant flower, yellow jasmine bouquets are all about grace, elegance, and timeless beauty.

12. Purple lilac, which means ‘loves first emotions’

Lilac not only smells pretty but is a great flower to ask someone out with or give to a new partner – it might not be as romantic as roses, but it’s meaning tells the whole story.

13. Morning glory, which means ‘affection’

A rare bouquet, morning glories are a simple and quirky way to express how much you love someone.

14. Pansy, which means ‘thinking of you’

Great for if you can’t be there, pansies when combined with other flowers make a creative gift to remind someone that you love them even from far away.

15. Red tulip, which means ‘declaration of love’

The best flower, besides a rose, is clearly red tulips. With a bold color, shape, and message, there’s no way they could be misinterpreted.

But of course, you can never go wrong with a beautiful bouquet of red roses and a box of chocolates!

Sarah is a freshman studying Theatrical Design and Production at Carnegie Mellon University. One day she hopes to design costumes for Star Wars and Marvel films or television programs, but for now you can find her in her free time hanging out in her dorm drawing or watching TV, trying out a new mug cake recipe, or reading her latest National Geographic issue. You can follow her on Instagram at @theocqueen to see all her latest doodles and sketches.
I'm a lover of writing, art and music. I'm always down for a chat, and love listening to people tell their stories.