This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

“Beauty and the Beast” premiered on Friday March 17th across the nation and broke the record as the biggest opening weekend in March ever.

Starring Emma Watson and Dan Stevens, the film has already drawn in nearly $500 million dollars on its second week in theaters. But why are people (including myself) going back to see it two, three, four times?

Here are some of the reasons why people have fallen in love with this retelling:

1. Belle is not just smart in this version but she’s an inventor along with her father. She even invents an early version of a washing machine in her town’s center.

2. LeFou is more upfront about his homosexuality in the film. The cartoon hints that the sidekick’s loyalty toward Gaston is more than friendship but the live action emphasizes his personality and creates a whole plot around it.

3. The Beast and Belle create more of a connection in the live version than the animated version. They bond over the deaths of their mothers and allow themselves to both be vulnerable toward each other, creating a more realistic relationship between the two.

4. The movie offers two interracial couples: Lumiere (Ewan McGregor) with Plumette (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) and Maestro Cadenza (Stanley Tucci) with Madame Garderobe (Audra McDonald).

5. The movie features brand new music such as “Evermore”, “Days In The Sun”, and “How Does a Moment Last Forever” by Celine Dion and the montmartre version sung by Emma Watson during the movie. The small differences in classics such as the opening “Belle” and “Be Our Guest” were fantastic as well.

Former Senior Editor
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19