nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

The Top Five Reasons to Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

For all you ladies out there who think your life isn’t good enough, it is. Self-love is such an important thing in life, especially to girls. A lot of times us girls think we aren’t good enough or we don’t have what we really want. Life isn’t all about how great you can be, or what you don’t have. It’s about being happy and content with what you’ve been given. Your life is beautiful in its own way and so unique compared to everyone else’s. Don’t waste this precious time in life being negative. Instead, enjoy the many ups and downs of life because you only have one to live and you should live it by being positive and by positively enforcing self-love to yourself and to EVERYONE around you.

Reason #1: Love your insecurities and flaws.

Everyone has insecurities and flaws they wish they didn’t have. Whether it’s the shape of your eyebrows that bothers you, or your heavy country accent, it’s okay to have these feelings. No one is perfect, and not being perfect makes you exactly who you are. Think of it this way: If everyone were perfect, we would all be the same. If we were all the same, there would be no special characteristics in anyone’s lives that would set them apart from everyone else. If there were no special characteristics and everyone was perfect, life would be BORING. Having these insecurities and flaws is one of the best things about living life. Being unique makes life wonderful and interesting every single day. Reach deep down inside of yourself, pick out every single one of your insecurities and flaws, and cherish them. They are what makes you, you. LOVE YOURSELF.

Reason #2: Love your talents.

What are your talents? What are you good at doing? Every person in this world has a special talent. Whether it’s painting, riding horses, or even being the best at your career, these talents are a special part of your life. There are plenty of things in life we aren’t very good at, but the things in life we are good at make our lives special and unique. Every day we wake up, we have the opportunity to show off our talents, and perfect them. You need to cherish this because some people would kill to be good at what you’re good at. Give your talents your all every single day because this is another reason you are who you are. These talents are characteristics of your life and how great and beautiful it is. LOVE YOURSELF.

Reason #3: Love the life you live.

Whether you’re a millionaire or the normal college student, your life is a beautiful blessing. It doesn’t matter how much money you have or what you look like, your life is unique and different than everyone else’s. In order to love yourself, you need to love the life you live as well. It’s also important to understand that regardless of the treasures you don’t have in life, the treasures you do have should be more than enough to make you happy. Some people treasure money, some people treasure family/friends, and some people treasure other things such as their house, car, animals, and even their jobs. Just treasure life in general because you have been given the opportunity to live and share your amazing life with others, so live it up and enjoy it. You’re only given one life, so live it right and love it. LOVE YOURSELF.

Reason #4: Love the difficulties you have in your life, whatever they may be.

Sometimes life is simple and carefree, and other times life can get you down. It’s okay to feel upset and alone sometimes because everyone gets that way every once in a while. Whatever you have going on in your life might seem terrible right now, but the scary and hard things you go through shape your character and make you who you are. Whether it’s a death in the family, a bad test grade, or even a bad day in general, getting through those times in your life should make you cherish how wonderful life is. Life can be taken for granted in many different ways, and it’s so important that we love the life we live no matter how difficult or how great it is at certain times. LOVE YOURSELF.

Reason #5 (the best reason): You’re the only you in this entire world!

No one on this Earth looks exactly like one another. No one on this Earth acts exactly like one another. Even if you’re an identical twin, there are plenty of things differing you from your twin. You may be “identical,” but there’s nothing identical at all. It’s always important to remember that you’re one of a kind and there’s no one in this entire world like you. If you’re living life thinking there are people better than you, or that you’re better than others, you’re not living life the way you should be. Don’t compare yourself to others because everyone is so different, and there is no replica of you or anyone else. So, always remember to love yourself because you’re the only you in this world and anyone would be lucky to be you. LOVE YOURSELF.

Life is strange. Life is hard. Life is crazy. Life is wonderful. Life is the best thing you will ever be given. Understanding that life is priceless and beautiful is the first step to loving yourself. Then, find the beauty in your life and share it with others to inspire them to also love themselves for who they are. Life is a continuous adventure that we should all appreciate, and there’s no better way to do that than to love ourselves, and to love others for who they are.

I am a sophomore at Clemson University, and I am involved in Her Campus Clemson, Greek life (Alpha Phi), and I am a part of the Clemson Love Your Melon team. I love writing and sharing my ideas with others, hopefully to inspire them to also share their ideas. 
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.