Struggling to Find an Outfit for Formal? Here’s Some Tips!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

It’s formal season and we’re all struggling to find that “perfect” outfit that will make us look beautiful. However, we’re all college students on a budget here. There are plenty of stores that offer free shipping and free returns if you want to order multiple dresses in different sizes. Here are some ideas that will save you time (and a lot of frustration).

1. Lulu’s

Lulu’s is an online store that specializes in dresses for all occasions (definitely check them out for semi-formal too). I would order your dress soon though because they tend to sell out fast. Not only are they cheaper than a lot of department stores, their dresses come in all different styles to fit any body type. If you spend over $50 it’s free shipping and, if you send your dress back within 30 days, returns are free!

2. Nordstrom

Nordstrom always tends to be pricier than other stores, but the dresses are high quality. Their motto is simple: free shipping and free returns. There are no time limits for returns. So, order as many dresses as you want, even the designer ones, and take as long as you need to decide on them. No rush!

3. Macy’s

This other major department store offers free shipping for orders over $99 but, chances are, you’ll easily get there when you put one or two dresses in your shopping cart. They also usually have a sale going on. In addition, they offer free returns, just print their pre-made shipping label and you’re all set. If you type “formal dresses” into the search bar you’ll get over 800 results, which means there’s something for everyone.

4. Wear Your Old Prom Dress

There’s no shame in wearing one of your old prom dresses because Clemson hasn’t seen it yet! Plus, if you’re trying to save money, dropping $100 on a new dress you’ll only wear a couple times isn’t the answer. If you feel beautiful in a dress you already own, wear it!

5. Jewelry

Check out Francesca’s who usually has “Buy One Get One 50% off” sales online and in-stores for their jewelry and accessories. Sometime having one or two statement pieces is all you need.

6. Shoes

Now that you have a dress, the next question is shoes. However, there’s one shoe that has come back full force and looks good on any dress. The black 90’s Steve Madden classic can be found relatively cheap from Target or LuLu’s (because you’ll probably kick them off by the fourth song anyways), but you can get the real thing from Nordstrom’s or any luxury department store. If black isn’t really your color, don’t worry, they come in almost every color you could imagine.

I hope this helps everyone find what they’re looking for to make them feel beautiful! Happy formal season!

Former Senior Editor
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19