This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Freshman year is hard. There’s no doubt about that. But what comes after is a whole new ballpark, complete with its own set of challenges, anxieties, new experiences and tough decisions. They call it “Sophomore Year”. Of course it’s an invigorating, wildly fun and memorable time but it’s also laden with stresses that most people overlook. After all, it’s not like college is new to us anymore right? We’re the forgotten grade, the middle-child of the college years. We’re thrown into the world all on our own without the support we were blessed with as freshman and expected to thrive. Challenge accepted. Here are 10 reasons why sophomore year is just as hard, if not more, than freshman year.

1. We no longer have the excuse of being a freshman

Freshmen aren’t the only ones who are allowed to get lost on campus during the first week of school, walk into the wrong class, or mess up their schedules. Maybe it’s just me but Clemson is, and always will be, a confusing labyrinth of weirdly named buildings and crowded walkways. Now, we can’t even pull the “sorry I’m a freshman” card when we ask for directions and having that as a completely acceptable and valid excuse. Sophomores mess up too, but this time we aren’t immediately off the hook just because we’re confused, helpless, (cute?) innocent freshman.

2. The real world is now closer than ever

Most of us will be graduating in two years. Two. Years. Think of where you were two years ago and now think of how time has flown by since then. If anything, this is motivation to live it up during your remaining time in college because, as much as we’d like to deny it, each year is another year closer to actual, real, adult life. Terrifying, but nonetheless exciting.

3. “You still have time to figure it out” but a lot less time than last year

I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life last year and nothing about that has changed this year. I’m still constantly changing my mind, my major and my life plans, and that is okay. However, the future is looming closer and closer. As time goes by, realistically, it gets harder and harder to change your academic course and catch up on the classes you need to fulfill your major requirements. Don’t let this scare you in to settling on a major you don’t absolutely love though! The most important thing is that you’re happy and, if that’s true, then the rest will follow and everything will work out. Remember, you still have time. You always will!

4. If you weren’t broke last year, you definitely are this year

The money you managed to save from that shi*ty summer job will last you maybe (if you’re lucky) half way through September. Curse you Starbucks and online shopping! (Helpful Tip: Be mindful of your purchases. Ask yourself, “do I really need this supercool emoji pillow for my dorm room? Maybe you do, but maybe your hard earned money could be put to better use. Save, save, save!)

5. Gen Eds are becoming a thing of the past

A sweet, sweet memory. Goodbye 300 people lecture halls and hello impossibly difficult upper level classes. So this is what they meant when they said college is hard.

6. Your bffls from home now seem more like acquaintances

Some may even classify as full-on strangers. And that’s okay. People change and grow apart and it’s completely natural, especially if you’re going to school states away from each other. Freshman year you tried your best to keep in touch with everyone, but as time goes on, that number decreases and the ones that truly matter will be the ones who stick around, even if that’s just a handful of them. These will be the ones who epitomize the meaning of “best friends for life”.

7. With that being said, your college crew will likely change too

Last year your group of friends most likely consisted of your hall mates. You lived together, ate together, had slightly terrifying dance parties together, cried together, studied together and binge watched Disney movies on Sundays after rough nights together. However, chances are you won’t all be living in the same place again and you’ll lack the closeness you experienced last year. Have no fear though, you’ll make so many more friends and meet many more people this year who are just as awesome as your freshman year gals.

8. The stress of jobs and internships

Another thing that comes with sophomore year is the real possibility of landing a resume-building job or internship. Sounds like a great experience! But the stress of applications, interviews and the concept of holding a semi-professional position is a lot to handle.

9. You feel yourself getting older

When I was younger I thought that 20 was the age you got married and had kids. A 20 year old was a full-on adult. Now I’m turning 20 in a week and every time I think about it I want to puke. The world is maturing me against my will and I crave the days when I was younger.

10. But then again, you still are young

You feel like a grandma when you would rather stay in and watch Netflix than go out on a Friday night, but you still know how to have a good time when the time is right. After all, to quote the wise and insightful Fergie, “A little party never killed nobody”.

Rebecca is originally from Massachusetts and is currently a sophomore at Clemson University double majoring in English and Secondary Education. She is a lover of the beach, breakfast, traveling, her awesome family and friends, working out, great books, Clemson football and classic rock.
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19