samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

There is a general misconception about love. you can’t know how to love someone until you know how to love yourself first. Once you know how to love yourself, you can love selflessly. I’ve recently learned this from my very close friend. I was first introduced to this real conception of love by my cousin. After reading “Milk and Honey” by Rupi Kaur I found some quotes that have everything to do with self-love.

“If you are not enough for yourself you will never be enough for someone else”

If you don’t think you are enough for yourself how would you ever think you’re enough for someone else? You have to learn to be okay with all your flaws first before you can accept anyone else for theirs. It’s easier said than done, but once you have the confidence in yourself, you won’t be able to worry if you’re ever enough for someone. Your worth is more meaningful than any love from a guy or girl. You should never have to question your worth, because you’re worth way more than you give yourself credit for no matter who you are.

“You must want to spend the rest of your life with yourself first”

You have to become comfortable being alone before wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone else or even being in a relationship with someone. The reason this is so important is because you will never walkout on yourself and decide you never want to be with yourself anymore. Depending on a relationship can be devastating to you if it ever became rocky or it ended. Learning to depend on yourself and wanting to be alone can be very empowering, you know you don’t have to have someone to be okay. You never need a man or woman in your life to be satisfied, you can be satisfied with yourself. Being independent is important in life.  

“I am learning how to love him by loving myself”

I found this quote to be more powerful than the rest of them because loving yourself is so so important to your mental health. It ties all the quotes together. Learning to love yourself can help you deal with being okay, with being alone, as well as help you realize your worth. Once you know how to love yourself, and love yourself with all of you, you can love other people correctly, more importantly, loving a significant other. You can realize what you need from that person in order for the relationship to work. Loving yourself can bring more happiness and independence. Through loving yourself, you can love selflessly and more wholesomely.

I hope these quotes have been as helpful they’ve been to me. I really recommend any poem book by Rupi Kupr as she spills out her heart onto pages for her soul to be heard and to let everyone know they’re not alone.

I'm a 21 year old Political Science student at Clemson University. Go Tigers! I plan to attend law school after I obtain my degree. I'm a small town girl with a city girl's dream.
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.